AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Taking delivery of my Pioneer KRP-500M tomorrow.

Can I run the break-in DVD 24/7 until 150 hours are on the Display, or should I just run the DVD morning to night then turn it off?

thanks....

·
Premium Member
18,322 Posts
Various people do it various ways. I would only run the DVD while i was home to monitor things. Some people have come home (or got up in the morning) and discovered the DVD player stopped for whatever reason and the DVD's menu was being displayed on the screen instead for who-knows-how many hours when they weren't around to check it. That would suck.

·
Registered
326 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG1 /forum/post/16904963

Taking delivery of my Pioneer KRP-500M tomorrow.

Can I run the break-in DVD 24/7 until 150 hours are on the Display, or should I just run the DVD morning to night then turn it off?

thanks....

I ran the break in for 150 hours straight, make sure you make the device you are playing it through loop the break in DVD because I think the DVD runs about 45 minutes and you have to keep it looped for 150 hours. Enjoy colorful screens in hi def.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by easycruise /forum/post/16905046

Don't bother with the break-in, it's just a waste of electricity.

I agree. Have heard this from several ISF calibrators. It is quickly becoming THE urban legend for plasma owners.

·
Registered
626 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by subavision212 /forum/post/16905445

I agree. Have heard this from several ISF calibrators. It is quickly becoming THE urban legend for plasma owners.
Quote:
Originally Posted by easycruise /forum/post/16905046

Don't bother with the break-in, it's just a waste of electricity.

Disagree. The point is to get the first few hundred hours out of the way.

To say that break-in is just a waste is silly because there are reasons to do a break-in.

·
Banned
10,928 Posts

Quote:

I never used the break-in DVD with my 50PX50U or PRO-150FD.

Both PDPs have incurred thousands of hours of operation and neither one shows any sign of BI/IR.

·
Premium Member
18,322 Posts

Quote:

What ISF calibrators have told you this? Don't they usually tell their customers to put about 200 hours on the panel before they'll come to ISF Calibrate it? Are you saying that these several calibrators you spoke with are willing to calibrate a new plasma out of the box? I'm positive that the picture quality on all three of my plasmas gradually improved over the first few weeks of their lives and i'm convinced that the phosphors do settle in early in the TV's life.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I think he means the whole disc thing. I didn't do it and mine is fine. Just keep your settings at the appropriate level for the first few hundred hours and you'll be ok.

I think there is a misconception on breaking in your plasma. many people on here seem to beleive that playing the slides is the ONLY way to break your tv in and that if you don't do that your tv is not broken in. Not the case. The "break-in" period that is referred to is the first 150-200 hours of your tvs life. Whether you want to spend that with a slide show of colored slides or watching regular tv is up to you. Regardless of which you choose your tv is being broken in.

·
Registered
631 Posts
From the wikiweb..

"Not all plasma owners believe a break-in period is necessary for the later generations of Samsung plasma sets. The Samsung factory supports this view. Samsung's Support FAQ, as of 2007, states: "Samsung Plasma TVs do not require a break-in period." There has been much concern and confusion over this issue because both Pioneer and Panasonic published documents as late as 2004 stating their plasma sets required 1,000 hours of break-in. As of 2007, no plasma manufacturers suggest their sets require break-in.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I know that it's not NECESSARY, but I went ahead and did the slideshow break-in anyway. During my break-in, I just let the DVD run for 10s of hours straight. However, I was however, running a new install of Windows 7 on my laptop (HTPC) and on a couple of occassions, it did the pop-up of "Activate Windows" and if this popped up, I would get IR for maybe 3 minutes because it goes out of Full Screen mode so it would show the outline of the WMP window. But it would quickly go away, so no biggie.

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
Break in is not needed however it helps speed things up this is true if you accelerate it by boosting the contrast at high levels while having the break in disc, the more hrs you log into your tv the faster the premature pixels will age evenly and the sooner the PQ will look better as the lumes levels will drop.

i had my elite pro-111 non stop a whole week with high contrast was it a waste of time? no not for me as i wanted to make sure rather then not doing so.

the only problem was i was so tempted to watch tv.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I'm not sure some people in this thread exactly understand why and for what reasons people use a break-in method.

Of course there are thousands of plasmas that are perfectly fine and no one did any sort of break-in. Thats not exactly the point.

·
Banned
10,928 Posts
Individuals who lead the pack w/their advocacy of using the Break-in DVD do so themselves because they only have 30 days to age the phosphors, calibrate, review and then return their borrowed PDPs.

Most of the rest of us will purchase a $5000 PDP once in a blue moon, so we are not in as great a hurry to artificially speed-up the process.

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
Optivity Much respect to you but i would like to say vice versa, since most of us dont spend a X sum for a X brand plasma I think it doesNt hurt to do this "artificially speed up process" by doing this break in since it doesnt hurt you know?

Quote:
Originally Posted by optivity /forum/post/16912456

Individuals who lead the pack w/their advocacy of using the Break-in DVD do so themselves because they only have 30 days to age the phosphors, calibrate, review and then return their borrowed PDPs.

Most of the rest of us will purchase a $5000 PDP once in a blue moon, so we are not in as great a hurry to artificially speed-up the process.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Maybe this is a silly question, but I'll ask it anyway ;-)

I've been an LCD-man for the last few years. I just bought a new Luxia 8000 series 46", but I've returned it after only a week and a half because of severe clouding problems.

I mainly want a big tv because I'm a movie freak and so I've begun to wonder about joining the plasma-family...

Anyway about this breaking in period (and here is my question), are you guys scrabbling down all the hours the tv is ON on a piece of paper, or do the plasma tv's actually have a counter like cars have a tripometer - that logs how many hours the tv has been running....? I do of course not think of a mecanical thing, but maybe there is somewhere in for example the servicemenu that shows this...?

Maybe stupid, but I'm hoping for a serious answer ;-)

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.