AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are several manufactuers that plan to produce large PDP for the "hi-end" market, at what price point would that market take off? With the price of projectors dropping by the day, can large PDP ever compete? Your comments are welcomed...

·
Registered
88 Posts
My pain threshold is 10K for a large plasma with 720p and NR DVI support. If I could buy a good 42" plasma for $3000 I'd consider it a "throw-away" TV and wouldn't be so obsessed with 720 p and NR DVI...

·
Banned
17,607 Posts
Of course there is!

If you analyse the industry offerings from the old conventional wisdom of Feng Shui (which my partner splurged on retaining a consultant for our firm)you would be amazed how much sense the 61" plasma makes. No kidding.

Crt projection emits x-rays. They should be banned.

Single lens 2000 lumen will fry a dark spot on your retina if you look into the light, which is very easy to do when you have 8 foot ceilings.

61 is Big enough, but I look forward to 75" and 87".

We are going to try support just the 61" Fujitsu product, and we are commited to tweak the heck out of it to make it the best picture around.

While on the subject of Feng Shui, rounder silver/aluminum components , and having LESS components seem a Better fit than a stack or rack of black boxes. But then again we have been saying that all along. The Feng shui just confirms it's soundness from a lifestyle integration point.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Nope, there will never be any market for these, with projectors getting so cheap.

Lord, I hate these threads....

:-(

·
Registered
11,020 Posts
I'm with Peter.

Just imagine how many people (not to mention all the potential commercial uses) would like to have a huge screen without light control and without a projector.

·
Registered
925 Posts
i for one would be interested in an 80" to 100" PDP.

(A) some architecture (like my den) simply can't support light management properly.

(B) some architecture and some families can't support the two-part (projector, screen) setup of a projector - for a variety of reasons (kids, no ceiling mounts, etc.).

the reason why PDPs might be a big win long-term in the market is their simplicity. projectors are not simple. if the price point comes down, joe six-pack might buy a PDP. no way joe six-pack is going to line up around the corner to buy a projector and a screen even if the pricing is identical or better - way too much of a hassle.

from a mass market perspective, PDP is only different from tube TVs in one way: price. the mass market is very flexible about image quality (oh lord - go look at 27" TVs at Best Buy - yuck!). PDPs can sit on a table with feet just like the tube they'd be replacing. it's an easy transition to make. not so with projectors.

finally PDPs can be made arbitrarily large. there are engineering chalenges, but they can (and will) be overcome. (i) heat management, (ii) computational power, and (ii) glass/medium strength. someday i believe that high-end theater may be the applicaton of PDP substrate (?) onto an entire wall of your den/theater. when it's turned off it'll be a black wall (maybe they'll figure out how to make it white). when it's turned on it'll be video, with pixel sizes 75% to 50% what we have today. hundreds of millions to a few billion pixels.

obviously some serious engineering has to happen first :), but i think it could happen.

doody.

·
Super Moderator
21,626 Posts
I am in the market for a 61" PDP- I cannot consider a projector because of room setup- and fan noise

price is an issue- 50" displays go for about $200.00/inch, but the 61" displays are over $300.00/inch- once this disparity is reduced the larger PDP's should be more popular

Mark

·
Banned
1,400 Posts
The most important reason for NOT buying a 61 hasn't even been discussed. Pixel numbers. The 60-63" plasmas have no more pixels than the highest rated 50" and thats 1365x768. By blowing up the image and retaining the identical pixel count, you get a softer, less detailed image that frankly, just doesn't look good from anywhere but 15+ feet away. Projectors, while having even lower pixel counts, produce a razor sharp, detailed image from 36" to 200" and everywhere in between.

I was in the market for a 61 inch and I looked at all of them. I finally decided on a DLP projector for DVD's and special events and am keeping my Pioneer 50 inch plasma for everyday viewing. The 50's are the best of the lot, they resolve true HD, have the highest pixel count per sq/inch and are a lot of real estate in a small package.

When the 60+ inch plasmas get higher resolution, I am a buyer. Until then I won't go up in size to go down in picture quality.

·
Premium Member
8,103 Posts
Hey Ericbee,

The problem with your argument is that you assume that things will stay this way. It's more than possible that resolution will increase and that the PQ of the 61" monsters will improve (contrast ratio for these beasts is AWFUL now).

If they can be the same as the Sharp 9000 over a 80-100" range, WOW...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.