AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently trying to decide whether or not to access the service menu on my 34 HS510 to correct some color issues.

My question is, will changing the setting RYR, RYB, GYR and GYB change any other settings without me knowing, that could potentially cause problems further down the road? Or are they fairly "safe" to change?

Also, are these settings actually for modifying the color decoder, or the grey scale?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
10,501 Posts
Use all info at your own risk.

FWIW, I've played with the 2170P_4/RYR, RYB, GYR, GYB color decoders on my 34XBR800 a fair amount, and I rather doubt there's any way to permanently hurt anything by changing them. Be sure to record the original values first though in case you want to put them back.

Grey scale is adjusted via 2170P_1/RDRV, GDRV, BDRV, RCUT, GCUT, BCUT

FWIW, before making my adjustments to the grey scale or color decoders, I also changed 2170P_1/CBOF & CROF to 31, and changed CXA2151/CBGN, CRGN & YGN all to 8. (I think CXA2151 may be 1080i-related). I'm not sure if this is a good idea or not though, particularly if you're calibrating for multiple signals and inputs. (I am only calibrating for a single input & signal, namely the bypassed 1080i signal via DVI.)

I also used the Neutral color mode rather than Warm, because the latter seemed so far off the mark on the bypassed 1080i.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply.

To be honest I'm not really interested in changing anything else except the universal color. I'm extremely impressed with the picture as is, with the exception of the extra red going on. I just figured the RYR RYB fix seemed simple enough for me to pull off without having to do too much to the set, hence more risk in screwing something up.

·
Registered
10,501 Posts
Adjusting the RYR, RYB, GYR, GYB along with the Color (& Hue if necessary) would probably give you some improvement. However, from what I can see, the signature color bias on the Sony really involves a combination of controls. I'm not sure if it's advisable to mess with the last two sets of color offset and gain controls mentioned above, but the RDRV, GDRV, BDRV, RCUT, GCUT, BCUT grey scale adjustments might be worth a look at some point. I think there are some ideas on how to adjust these in the GWII FAQ.

The RGB DRIVE and CUTOFF gey scale controls are a bit inter-related so I kind of went back and forth between them a few times until I was satisfied, starting with the DRV controls first. (My understanding is that DRV controls the white color balance, and CUT controls the black color balance. FWIW, I just sort of eyeballed them using various DVDs, and some grey scale and color patterns similar to the ones on the first page of the Computer Input thread in my signature.)

The DRV/CUT grey scale controls also appear to work relatively independent of the RYR, RYB, GYR, GYB color decoders. FWIW, I configured the RYR, RYB, GYR, GYB color decoders before the DRV/CUT grey scale controls, and the color decoders did not seem to need any change after the grey scale was adjusted.

The adjustment of the color decoders has actually been remarkably consistent on my TV, calibrating to the following ranges:

RYR 13-15

RYB 14-15

GYR 6-7

GYB 4

(The differences above were the result of my changes to CXA2151/CBGN, CRGN & YGN. These particular (1080i?) gain controls do alter the color decoders, so that's why I'm not sure it's advisable to mess with them. FWIW, before adjusting CXA2151 gain, the decoders calibrated at about 15,15,7,4. After adjusting CXA2151 gain, the decoders calibrated at 13,14,6,4.)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hello dueric,

Here's some info from when I reduced (eliminated, reallly) the red and green push on my kv36hs510. It will probably be of some interest to you:

Service Mode/Red Push Reduction (Sony)

To get into the service mode make sure the TV is off, then on the TV's remote,

press [display] then [5] then [vol +] then [power].

The set will turn on with a lot of green numbers and letters on the screen.

You are now in the service mode. Be extremely careful in the service mode!

The first thing you want to do when you enter the service menu is get familiar

with it:

Use [1] and [4] on the remote to scroll up and down by variable;

use [2] and [5] to scroll up and down by group;

use [3] and [6] to change values of the item.

DO NOT CHANGE ANYTHING YET UNTIL YOU ARE COMFORTABLE WITH THE SERVICE MENU

AND YOU HAVE WRITTEN DOWN THE ORIGINAL VALUES FOR EACH REGISTER YOU PLAN TO

CHANGE!!! [Mute] then [Enter] will save the setting into memory. Fixing the

red push problem doesn't require changing variables that will damage or screw

up your TV as long as you stick to the variables listed below!

Once you are familiar with the service menu you can fix the red/green push:

On some Sony models, the group to scroll to is 2170P-4 (using [2]/[5]). If you

can't find this group, just scroll through the individual variables (using

[1]/[4]) until you find RYR, RYB, GYR, and GYB. Use [3] and [6] to change the

value of the register (write down the original value first). If you can't find

these variables in the menu, you probably need to get a copy of your set's

service manual.

In my case:

RYR from 8 to 15. (red)

RYB from 9 to 15. (red)

GYR from 9 to 11. (green)

GYB from 6 to 10. (green)

NOTE that increasing the value decreases the amount of that color!

I used the DVE DVD with its included color filter when making these changes. I

looked through the appropriate color filter while adjusting up and down until

I felt the intensities in the color group looked as similar as possible. If

you don't have the filters, but you are sure you have red or green push

(pretty obvious on some TVs), then just bump the value up until red or green

is not over-saturated, but the filter is still the best way to go.

Press [mute] then [enter] to write into memory.

Afterwards, I noticed a major improvement in the color intensity. Red, blue,

and green were all of equal saturation and flesh-tones looked more natural.

Good luck!

P.S. I also recentered my screen using the variables HPOS and VPOS.

To correct vertical overscan, you'll probably neeed to adjust some of the settings in the 2170D_3 group in Service mode. Try TBLK and BBLK to adjust top and bottom blanking. This stuff controls how much picture is available. VSIZ won't do this. Note that the values for TBLK and BBLK differ according to what zoom setting you're using and what the signal input is.

·
Registered
10,501 Posts
FWIW, my adjustments were made using the TV's own red, green and blue gun controls 2170P_2/RGBS rather than filters, and this was done on the bypassed 1080i, so perhaps that may account for some of the difference. The starting values on my TV were also 8,9,9,6.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Adu -

I have a question regarding correcting vertical overscan on the 34 Sony. I have an HS510, it has some vertical overscan issues. Using Avia and an inexpensive Toshiba progressive player on 480p, the set appears to have about 8-9% vertical overscan. When I adjust the vertical size using either the VSIZ or the Mid1 / Mid2 methods that are in these threads, I then affect the quality of the very bottom of the image in 1080i (Input 5 on component). At the very bottom part of the image in 1080i, there is what looks like an optical distortion. For instance, if you reduce the vertical size and raise the image, so that the bottom edge of the image is above the bottom edge of the screen, vertical lines are distorted so that they start from an angle from the left and curve upwards. This effect is present all across the bottom of the image, the lines curve in the same direction. If I set the vertical size on 1080i so that the image is just outside the screen area (minimizing overscan), then I see this distortion effect on my HD signal. The only way I can eliminate it is to increase the vertical size more, so that this distorted area is outside the field of view. But when I do this, I have created the 8-9% overscan condition.

Has anyone else seen this characteristic when working on the overscan?

One other issue I have seen but have not read about in the threads is that my 480p signal seems to be different when my TV is in service mode. In other words, when I view a test pattern in the SM, make a correction, save it, then look at the same image in regular viewing mode, the image seems to have shifted. So, I make a change, exit it to view, then have to go back in to make adjustments, then back out, etc... Very time consuming...

Thanks for your input, I really enjoy reading about your experiences.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hey guys. I have the 32HS510 and I love the TV. I am haveing a little problem with the geometry right now.

I have noticed that when I am playing a letterboxed DVD or watching a show that is letterboxed, the image is slanting downwards on the top left and top right edges. The bottom looks great. So basically, the black bar above a letterboxed video is starting to very slight slant down into the video on the top left and right edges of the tv.

My wife cannot notice it, but it is all I see.

So can I adjust the top right and top left of my image? What are the settings in the service menu to fix this? I am so desperate, someone help me please?

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
quick question, I'm sure it's been asked again and again. I've made all the adjustments above for red/green push, are these changes on a per-input basis ? I made the changes while on input 6, which I have my digital cable box plugged into, but I'm going to buy one of the new DVI dvd players, the Zenith dvb318, not sure if the changes need to be re-applied for the dvi input.

·
Registered
408 Posts
If I am not incorrect,

if you made the adjustments on RYR, RYB, GYR, and GYB, I believe it will apply to all inputs as you save them.

So are RCUT, BCUT, GCUT, and RDRV, GDRV, and BDRV. These settings will all be save and apply to all inputs and all video setting too I believe (ex: pro, movie, standard, and vivid.)

I am not 100% sure but quite certain.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.