AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When using avia test tones shoud I point the SPL meter at the speakers?

My instincts say yes, since my ears are facing my rear speakers, so pointing the meter at them during testing would account for this.

Any ideas?

Also is there a + or - factor for the sub using this meter with Avia? I heard that DVE needs a +3 dB adjustment after calibrating to 75.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
I'd suggest watching the tutorials on that Avia disc. They tell you exactly how to do each test; they also cover the basics regarding many aspects of Home Theater.

Ok, now for the non-smartass response, point the meter straight up (that is only PART of what they cover in the turorial chapters in Avia). The meter is off by an average of 3dB in the common range for the subwoofer pink noise, so if you read 85dB on the meter, it is actually 88dB.

Sorny

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorny,

Thanks for the tips. I didn't watch the Avia tutorials because when I started it seemed a little too basic for me to sit through and watch. It must get more entailing later on I presume.

TheMadMilkman,

Yes, they are in my 5.1 setup. From what I remember, Dolby, DTS and THX suggest placing suurrounds in a 5.1 setup beside the listener.

Not everyone has or wants 7.1.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.