AVS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have exhausted all my set up options after weeks of little tweaks and living with it for a while I am finally happy with my set up. My next step will be REW and some measurments but that will be a couple months away. I have a pair of XV15se subs from PSA and I am really happy but feel I need more. I don't know if what I type below is a really stupid question or not but I figured someone on here could school me.

I am looking for the bass pressure in the room that I have when the avr is at MV 0 but when Iam at MV -10 or -12. I am happy with my overall viewing volume around -10 to -12 depending on movie but I really like the bass when I demo at 0. I am already running my bass hot and I don't want to push them any further (no funny noises or bad sounds but don't want to get to that point).... I have no idea if that makes any sense but, the reading I have done tells me I might need more headroom to get what I want or maybe what I want can't be done I have no idea. I am assuming I need either more xv15se subs, more power, or different type of sub.

Any help? I have a small theater 11x24x7.5 but it is open to an entire 4 level spit of about 1800sqft

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
Seal the room. Or get more subs. Physics.

Sorry for the simplified answer but that is basically what it boils down to.

Nashou

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Seal the room. Or get more subs. Physics.

Sorry for the simplified answer but that is basically what it boils down to.

Nashou
Sealing is not an option thanks to the four level split design of half a staircase on each floor. I was afraid it was going to be the expensive option. I was more or less just wanting to confirm the confused thoughts in my brain that adding more subs would raise the pressure at all volume levels and not just allow me to go louder. So I guess thanks for the simplified answer it worked :)

But the million dollar question is do I just add two more xv15se, or the new reaction offerings, Or maybe even dabble in a DIY Marty sub of some sort. Probably the easiest option as it's taken me this long to get the simplified set up all done I am sure REW will be a nightmare. I would like to go lower than I am now as I am quite happy with my bass at MV 0 but I am missing some feel down low that I hear in other rooms on the same demo not sure if adding more subs will help with that or not.

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
Adding more subs will help but, it is more expensive and then the task of getting them to work together. A cheaper alternative, especially if you listen at -10 or-20 is to get bass shakers. Many of the guys with the highest ULF scores use shakers.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I agree with the bass shaker recommendation, they fool the human body into thinking it is not only feeling but hearing more bass. You can also place the subwoofers nearfield for better bass pressure.

·
Registered
3,943 Posts
For +12db gain you'll need to add 6 subs. Build riser, place 4 subs up front and 4 nearfield plus transducers as mentioned above. Done.

·
Registered
12,980 Posts
If you are not at the subs limits then turn them up. You are not going to blow the subs up, so again keep turning them up till the output no longer increases, then dial them back 2-3 db. If that is not enough bass then worry about adding more subwoofage.

^^^ This.

If you can crank it to "0" now without any signs of stress, why not just crank up the sub trim and/or gain to get the bass at the same level at -10MV you would be at when listening at 0MV?? :confused:

I also agree that bass shakers/transducers would be the cheapest route to more "tactile feedback", but you sound like it's more "pressurization" you're after....the only answer for that is more SPL (be it via additional subs, higher gain/trim, or closer placement).

Do you have Audyssey? If so, do you use Dynamic EQ?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you are not at the subs limits then turn them up. You are not going to blow the subs up, so again keep turning them up till the output no longer increases, then dial them back 2-3 db. If that is not enough bass then worry about adding more subwoofage.
Whats the best way to find out the limit safely? Music, test tone with spl meter, other? I would really like to avoid any warranty issues as I am not in America.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
^^^ This.

If you can crank it to "0" now without any signs of stress, why not just crank up the sub trim and/or gain to get the bass at the same level at -10MV you would be at when listening at 0MV?? :confused:

I also agree that bass shakers/transducers would be the cheapest route to more "tactile feedback", but you sound like it's more "pressurization" you're after....the only answer for that is more SPL (be it via additional subs, higher gain/trim, or closer placement).

Do you have Audyssey? If so, do you use Dynamic EQ?
I have all audyssey items turned off. I have an older avr and I really didn't like what it did with audyssey and I don't believe it was working right (possible mic issue) Not a fan of bass shakers. Two friends run them and while they do help in a concrete floor environment they just aren't for me.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This may be another stupid question but if Iam willing to put in the time with REW and buy a mini dsp, How hard is it to actually get different types of subs to interact with each other? ex: If after I run rew to see what my bass is like in my room with the two XV15se I have and decide I want to have more extension down low, Obviously adding another xv15se won't help and I have heard that mixing ported and sealed created problems. So would it be a bad idea to add a DIY 15" ported sub that would be tuned lower?

·
Registered
14,318 Posts
Whats the best way to find out the limit safely? Music, test tone with spl meter, other? I would really like to avoid any warranty issues as I am not in America.
It would be 99% impossible to blow up a ID sub with any source material. These subs are built with soft limiting and thermal protection. Use a spl meter, play some heavy bass music, keep turning it up until the output no longer increases, then back it down 2-3db. That will pretty much give you your max clean output capabilities. I have ran my subs up to the point of full compression, Tom knows I have told him. He said to give them hell, just do not use sine wave test tones for a length of time. Meaning you would not want to run a 20hz tone at full tilt for 5 minutes. That could nuke a voice coil.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It would be 99% impossible to blow up a ID sub with any source material. These subs are built with soft limiting and thermal protection. Use a spl meter, play some heavy bass music, keep turning it up until the output no longer increases, then back it down 2-3db. That will pretty much give you your max clean output capabilities. I have ran my subs up to the point of full compression, Tom knows I have told him. He said to give them hell, just do not use sine wave test tones for a length of time. Meaning you would not want to run a 20hz tone at full tilt for 5 minutes. That could nuke a voice coil.
Thanks

1 - 14 of 14 Posts