AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im a little bit confused about direction because there is a - before the decibel numbers.

So is -8 on my reciever softer sub ( less lfe), than -9.. or is it louder sub( more lfe)

Thank you in advance

·
Vendor
6,545 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostylou /forum/post/20840011

Im a little bit confused about direction because there is a - before the decibel numbers.

So is -8 on my reciever softer sub ( less lfe), than -9.. or is it louder sub( more lfe)

Thank you in advance

Are you talking about your master volume? I.E. - the number it displays when you turn the volume up (not the trim level)?

If so, -8 is louder than -9.

The simplest explanation is that 0 represents reference level listening (reference level being 75dB when watching a movie). So the closer you get to zero, the louder the material you are watching will be. And once you go over 0 (i.e. +1, +2, etc), you are going over reference level and achieving even louder levels.

Of course, if you are talking about trim levels I will have to reply again with a different explanation (though the simplest rule to remember is that when a number has a negative sign in front of it, the closer to zero it is the louder it will play...then once your past zero and it shows a positive sign the opposite holds true, further from zero the louder it plays)

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCoolJesus /forum/post/0

Are you talking about your master volume? I.E. - the number it displays when you turn the volume up (not the trim level)?

If so, -8 is louder than -9.

The simplest explanation is that 0 represents reference level listening (reference level being 75dB when watching a movie). So the closer you get to zero, the louder the material you are watching will be. And once you go over 0 (i.e. +1, +2, etc), you are going over reference level and achieving even louder levels.

Of course, if you are talking about trim levels I will have to reply again with a different explanation (though the simplest rule to remember is that when a number has a negative sign in front of it, the closer to zero it is the louder it will play...then once your past zero and it shows a positive sign the opposite holds true, further from zero the louder it plays)

Ok.. Thx for your reply..This is where I am confused... I am talking about in the subwoofer settings there is lfe level

Would setting it at -9 be more, louder subwoofer than -8, or would the lfe at-9 be softer and less.

Simply put

In the subs settings in the reciever menu....

Is -8, less bass than -9.. Or more?

Thx again

·
Registered
12,438 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCoolJesus /forum/post/20840022

Are you talking about your master volume?

Of course, if you are talking about trim levels I will have to reply again with a different explanation
They both work the same way.

·
Vendor
6,545 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler /forum/post/20840562

They both work the same way.

lol, I didn't mean different explanation as in there is a difference in what going from -9 to -8 does between the two possibilities, but different explanation in that the trim level setting will change the volume of just the subwoofer, whereas the master volume would affect every speaker. Wasn't sure which situation he was originally referring to and wanted to make sure I addressed each in-depth, if need be. Just in case.

I suppose I was going to tailor the answer to either situation even though each answer in terms of information he needed would be the same

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.