AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently inherited a pair of jbl l100t's for free. The surrounds were rotten on both woofers (2214h).

One of them I managed to fix. And it does sound great now! But I definitely skimped a little bit on the glue at first because I was afraid I'd run out. So I'm noticing that the surround isn't always fully glued to the cone. Well it is, but not full width all around. It sounds great though. At this point, would it be a good idea if I have extra glue to brush some around the interface of the foam surround / cone? The surround goes behind the cone on the 2214h's, so I could just brush some glue right in. Do it?

And here's another question:

The other woofer is not doing nearly as well. The surround is also gone, but there was also a rip between the spider and the cone. This caused the voice coil to rub against the magnet, unless it was moved exactly perfectly. So I figured if I just shimmed it and put on the new surround and hoped for the best, it'd just end up scraping still.

So here's where we made some mistakes possibly. We didn't have any easy way to access the spider/cone interface where it was ripped to try to apply glue. So I found a guide that talks about cutting the spider around the outside and then later gluing it back on. Well, we had to cut inside a little, since the outer ring of spider was just deteriorating when we tried to cut it off. So now we have the problem that it's incredibly hard to glue it in place properly. I'm imagining that the tacky white glue that came with the surround refoam kit won't cut it here. I used it to reconnect the spider to the cone, and it seems to be ok / a little too late to go back and change the glue, so if it fails, I'll upgrade that as well.

But so what should we do about reattaching the spider to the housing? Do note again that we got these speakers for absolutely nothing, and am looking to get this going again. Maybe in the future if we find a good 2214h, we'll swap it in. But for the time being, a shoddy repair job will have to suffice. I hope not too many people are angered by this..

I was trying to brainstorm. Maybe some sort of tape? Like athletic tape or something that was real flexible. And then we'd have to use some sort of stronger adhesive. Any suggestions on these? Aligning it is going to be a huge *****, and I do realize there's a good chance it'll get glued on not perfectly centered, and this 2214h is without hope, but why not give it a shot?

·
Registered
3,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziddey /forum/post/15575983

I recently inherited a pair of jbl l100t's for free. The surrounds were rotten on both woofers (2214h).

One of them I managed to fix. And it does sound great now! But I definitely skimped a little bit on the glue at first because I was afraid I'd run out. So I'm noticing that the surround isn't always fully glued to the cone. Well it is, but not full width all around. It sounds great though. At this point, would it be a good idea if I have extra glue to brush some around the interface of the foam surround / cone? The surround goes behind the cone on the 2214h's, so I could just brush some glue right in. Do it?

And here's another question:

The other woofer is not doing nearly as well. The surround is also gone, but there was also a rip between the spider and the cone. This caused the voice coil to rub against the magnet, unless it was moved exactly perfectly. So I figured if I just shimmed it and put on the new surround and hoped for the best, it'd just end up scraping still.

So here's where we made some mistakes possibly. We didn't have any easy way to access the spider/cone interface where it was ripped to try to apply glue. So I found a guide that talks about cutting the spider around the outside and then later gluing it back on. Well, we had to cut inside a little, since the outer ring of spider was just deteriorating when we tried to cut it off. So now we have the problem that it's incredibly hard to glue it in place properly. I'm imagining that the tacky white glue that came with the surround refoam kit won't cut it here. I used it to reconnect the spider to the cone, and it seems to be ok / a little too late to go back and change the glue, so if it fails, I'll upgrade that as well.

But so what should we do about reattaching the spider to the housing? Do note again that we got these speakers for absolutely nothing, and am looking to get this going again. Maybe in the future if we find a good 2214h, we'll swap it in. But for the time being, a shoddy repair job will have to suffice. I hope not too many people are angered by this..

I was trying to brainstorm. Maybe some sort of tape? Like athletic tape or something that was real flexible. And then we'd have to use some sort of stronger adhesive. Any suggestions on these? Aligning it is going to be a huge *****, and I do realize there's a good chance it'll get glued on not perfectly centered, and this 2214h is without hope, but why not give it a shot?

I have a pair of JBL-L46's (1980). I wanted to referb the foam surrounds back to normal. I recently received them in a complete kit from an ebay seller. The kit came with complete instructions as well as a way to contact the seller if I needed help. (I haven't had the nerve to get the razor blade out yet)
All of these guys will do it for you if you send it to them. Can't you call the people you purchased it from?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I purchased a surround kit from ebay as well. That's not what's troubling me. One of the speakers is already happily kickin again.

more important is the other speaker with the now cut spider.. I just went to the hardware store and picked up some stronger glue that's supposed to work with fabric and metal. And also some loose cloth to sort of soak the glue and interface the two parts. hoping for the best :/

1 - 3 of 3 Posts