AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

How do I run a cable inside and across drywall? This is a concrete apartment building so there aren't wooden studs. I feels like metal ones but I can't see it.

I tried searching but I didn't see anything that talks about running cables across..just dropping from top to bottom

thanks in advance

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
Go to lowes or home depot and get a fish tape. That will help you. Depending on what type of floors you have you can just push the cable between the floor and Drywall and then put a hole in the wall close to speaker mounting location (I assume this is for speakers) then run the fish tape down the wall. Do you know if the walls are insulated? If not you could just tie a weight like a fishing weight on the cable and run it reverse from the top down without the tape.

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
It is much much easier to run cables/wires vertically inside drywall (as long as there is no fireblocking) than it is horizontally (because of studs).

The easiest way is as above: run it the short vertical distance in the stud bay to the height you want, then run it horizontally tucked under the baseboard/carpet or run it behind the baseboard.

Just make sure you are using CL2/CL3 rated cable (speaker, hdmi, etc.)

·
Registered
400 Posts
Are you trying to get a wire between those 2 low voltage boxes in the picture. If so, you have a big problem. There seems to be insulation in the wall, this will make it hard to fish a wire. The reason why you don't read much about running across studs is because you have to drill through the studs, usually requiring you to break the drywall. If they are metal studs there are holes in them for running wire through. If your very lucky the holes will line up enough put a fish tape through. You will need to make a hole in the wall below your TV in order to then run vertically.

As John says, your probably better off dropping the wire vertically and then running along (or behind) the baseboard.

Greg

·
Registered
22 Posts
One other thing that might help you if this is concrete construction, you may have a small gap between the steel stud wall and concrete. Like the other guys said, buy a fish tape and you may just be lucky enough to be able to just slip your fish tape in behind the insulation and straight across to the other box.

Good luck with your fishing expedition any way you look at this problem!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts