AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I presently have a Panny TH-46PZ800U, but am going to buy either the 58" V10, or a 58" 800U.

My question is this: If the 58" unit's (either model) resolution has the same number of lines as the 46" (both have 1080 x 1920), then won't a bigger screen muddy up the resolution, because the pixels or dots are bigger?

In other words, if the 46" unit has the same # of lines as a 58" unit, wouldn't the smaller screen be sharper?

Might be a dumb question, as I'm still new to the tech stuff.

Any insight would be much appreciamagated!

·
Premium Member
2,136 Posts
Yes, smaller screens with the same number of pixels tend to look sharper. What it really boils down to, though, is the distance you sit from the screen. If you sit 6' from the 46" and then 6' from a 58" set, the bigger set won't look quite as sharp. However, if you sit 6' from the 46" and 10' from the 58" set, the difference won't be nearly as noticeable.

FWIW, I have two plasmas, a 50" Kuro and 60" Kuro Elite, both of which have very good video processing capabilities. They both look as sharp or sharper as my cousin's 1080p 42" plasma from 8-10' seating distance. Additionally, I have a 136" 2.35:1 projection screen with a Panasonic ae3000u projector running through a DVDO Edge outboard video processor, and even 480i/p DVDs look fantastic at that size (110" 16:9 or 136" 2.35:1). And the front row is only about 8-9' away from the screen. Panasonic's smoothscreen technology helps somewhat with this, too.

What it all boils down to is expectations, primarily, but also seating distance and video processing capabilities, at least IMO.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by schroedk /forum/post/16948473

Yes, smaller screens with the same number of pixels tend to look sharper. What it really boils down to, though, is the distance you sit from the screen. If you sit 6' from the 46" and then 6' from a 58" set, the bigger set won't look quite as sharp. However, if you sit 6' from the 46" and 10' from the 58" set, the difference won't be nearly as noticeable.

FWIW, I have two plasmas, a 50" Kuro and 60" Kuro Elite, both of which have very good video processing capabilities. They both look as sharp or sharper as my cousin's 1080p 42" plasma from 8-10' seating distance. Additionally, I have a 136" 2.35:1 projection screen with a Panasonic ae3000u projector running through a DVDO Edge outboard video processor, and even 480i/p DVDs look fantastic at that size (110" 16:9 or 136" 2.35:1). And the front row is only about 8-9' away from the screen. Panasonic's smoothscreen technology helps somewhat with this, too.

What it all boils down to is expectations, primarily, but also seating distance and video processing capabilities, at least IMO.

Thanks! That was very helpful.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts