AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about ready to pull the trigger on a pair of stands ( http://www.racksandstands.com/Sanus-NF30c-SY1246.html ) and wanted to make sure I am getting the right height. I will be using these for my rear speakers which are some Polk Monitor 30's.

The 24" seemed like they would be a little too low, but maybe I am wrong. Or maybe I should even jump to the 36 inch, but I doubt it.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
5,900 Posts
I'd get the surrounds up higher so they're not blocked by the back of a sofa or other listeners. My vote is for the 36" stands, especially with a speaker that has the tweeter mounted below the woofer. JMHO.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmmm, now I am trying to think if the 30" would put the speakers above my couch or not. I now that if I got the 30" stands that the tweeter on the 30's will sit roughly 2-3" higher than the tweeters on my Monitor 60's.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
IMO surround speakers should have the tweeters 2 to 3 feet above ear level. I'm not a fan of speaker stands for surrounds I would rather have them mounted high on the wall.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I think 36" or so would be fine as long as they are above any obstructions between your ears and the tweeters.

One thing that I have mentioned a few times before is that speakers on stands can be very dangerous if you have small children in the house (or visitors with children). A 16 pound speaker falling 3' can cause serious injuries. I thought of that issue after buying 36" stands for my Infinity Beta 20's which are about 20 pounds. However, no children in my house; at least for now.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sptrout /forum/post/18227348

I think 36" or so would be fine as long as they are above any obstructions between your ears and the tweeters.

One thing that I have mentioned a few times before is that speakers on stands can be very dangerous if you have small children in the house (or visitors with children). A 16 pound speaker falling 3' can cause serious injuries. I thought of that issue after buying 36" stands for my Infinity Beta 20's which are about 20 pounds. However, no children in my house; at least for now.

Yea, this is one thing that worries me a little. We have a 18 month old son who likes to get in to things. Now, I could place this in corners and whatnot so it reduces the chance he gets at them, but it obviously doesn't eliminate that chance.

After thinking about it some more what I might do is just build a little shelf out of MDF for one of the speakers so I can turn it the way it has to be and then I just have to move the other speaker to the other wall. Attached is my current layout and right now they are wall mounted facing straight ahead (just because I haven't figured out how I really want them) so as you can see, they aren't even aimed towards the seating.

So I think I might just mount the right one on the wall behind the subwoofer facing the couch and then build a shelf for the left one so I can angle that towards the couch as well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts