AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a proud owner of 2 replays - 4580 & 4080. I like to keep an eye on the competition. With the new Home Media Option for Tivo it's still not clear to me, but it appears like you can stream video between 2 Tivos in the household? Can someone confirm this? If this is the case then I'm getting a little worried that the competition is catching up fast... all that's left is a DVArchive-like app for Tivo and the gap is pretty well closed - of course CA is still a big differentiator and I feel safe that Tivo won't take that on - and hope D&M keeps it alive for RTV. Also looks like Tivo will be supporting HDTV real soon... Anyone else getting a sense that RTV is falling seriously behind?

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
You can indeed stream between two Home Media installed TiVos. They both need the service though, and it costs extra.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by moyekj
Anyone else getting a sense that RTV is falling seriously behind?
Hopefully D&M will feel the same sense of urgency.

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by heathriel
You can indeed stream between two Home Media installed TiVos. They both need the service though, and it costs extra.
Thanks for the confirmation, that's what I feared... Don't tell me there's something that comes close to DVArchive for Tivo too? If so, the only significant edge we have over Tivo is CA.... say it ain't so!

BTW, I say "comes close" because there is no way that there's anything better than DVA. I've heard plenty of complaints about the dumbed down GUI and yada yada yada, but I'm looking at the main feature set here and start to wonder why D&M bothered.... hopefully the RTV team will have the funding and green light to move ahead quickly, but it's going to take some serious commitment to stay ahead. The reason they may be concentrating on 5000 series only for now is they also realize their predicament and want to make sure the latest RTV remains competitive... in which case I can't blame them, so long as the 4K series gets attention when the dust settles.

·
Registered
222 Posts
there's not a chance that you'll see a dvarchive like product for tivo. they are waaaay to concerned with having control and encrypting the stored files. tivo will not allow for that. I've read that the encryption is pretty strong too.

tivo will not have commercial advance either, that's for sure.

as far as show sharing is concerned, you can be sure that they won't have it as well....then again, we might not have it that much longer.

·
Registered
303 Posts
We better have it in the long run...it is one of the "killer features" that makes the replay. You have to have something to tolerate the inherent instability of the unit.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.