AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've searched and search, but most of the posts confuse me as some of you say this TV has a "STRETCH" mode and a "ZOOM" mode for 4x3 material.

Does it have both or just the "STRETCH"??

Thanks.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Yes, the F38310 has both stretch and zoom modes. In the zoom mode, you lose some of the top and bottom of the picture and is not as clear.

I use the stretch mode and after a short time, you don't really notice. Just looks like everyone put on a few pounds.

Don

·
Registered
654 Posts
You are absolutely right, Don! Some women look much better on the strech mode! It is true that the FORWARD key cycles through all the display modes, but you have to start in the TUNER mode and use the INPUT key if you want the FORWARD key to work with any of the video inputs selected directly via the VCR1, VCR2, and DVD keys. Anybody knows why they set it up like that?

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
"Full" is the "Stretch" mode you refer to. This is for anamorphic DVD's -- it stretches 4:3 video horizontally to fill the 16:9 window. The video is not altered vertically.

If you have an interlaced DVD player, and watch enhanced/anamorphic DVD's, they are presented in the correct aspect ratio when you set the TV to "full" mode. Many folks who don't like the gray side bars stretch all 4:3 material to fill the screen this way -- after a while, you get used to the distortion.

"Fill" is the "zoom" mode you refer to. This is for letterboxed/matted DVD's and television shows (like ER). This mode expands the video horizontally and vertically to fill the letterboxed video on the screen. You can also use it to zoom 4:3 material while keeping the correct aspect ratio -- if you have a good signal, baseball is nice zoomed in this mode.

If you have a progressive DVD player, the screen modes do not work. You need to get a DVD player that performs scaling. Do some searches on the DVD hardware forum for info on scaling DVD players.

Joe

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.