AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to run a VGA cable from my Inspiron 700m VGA out to the component in using a VGA to RCA component cable. Are the component connectors RGB compatible or will I need a transcoder. If I need a transcoder I may just buy the multi VGA cable. But I would rather buy one of the VGA to Component cables off eBay for cheap ($12) than the other multi cable. Anyone doing this?

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Okay, I found the other threads and this question was asked but never answered. Most went off topic. I have a laptop so I cannot buy other cards. Also, someone mentioned lower resolution on SIC-HS30. I simply want to watch movies in widescreen on my projector form the VGA connector. If I can;t do it with VGA to Component breakout then where do I buy a SIC-HS30. I can't find them. If they still run $70 then I may hold out on this option especially if the resolution is limited.

·
Wireless member
27,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by clintroberts
Okay, I found the other threads and this question was asked but never answered. Most went off topic. I have a laptop so I cannot buy other cards. Also, someone mentioned lower resolution on SIC-HS30. I simply want to watch movies in widescreen on my projector form the VGA connector. If I can;t do it with VGA to Component breakout then where do I buy a SIC-HS30. I can't find them. If they still run $70 then I may hold out on this option especially if the resolution is limited.
Have you deteremined - hardware-wise - whether your laptop's graphic system VGA output supports the resolution you'd like to use?

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, all I want to do here is use my 700m as a backup DVD player. Sometimes I want to record a show while watching a movie and I have the all-in-one OTA HDTV receiver/DVD player from LG. I have an audio card to convert to digital via the USB port. Now all I need is the picture. I don't want to go S-video as I want at least a component quality picture. Right now the HDTV/DVD receiver is hooked up DVI to the HS20. Surely I can get 480i or p on this with VGA. I don't need high resolutions. Enough of my rambling, how do I check support of resolution and what do I look for. Can it be done without the Multiport HS30 cable?

·
Wireless member
27,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by clintroberts
how do I check support of resolution and what do I look for. Can it be done without the Multiport HS30 cable?
Laptop mfg's website - tech support - should give specs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.