AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I want to swap a hard drive from one 5K and put it in another, do I have to do anything else - or can I just swap them around a will with no worries?

Greg

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Sure, just be sure to properly shut down the Replay's before powering down. Hold the power button down for about 10 seconds until you hear the fan spin down, then pull the plug.

When you get everything back together, a net connect should straighten any activation problems out.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
As Andy mentioned, yes. In fact there are folks who created swappable enclosures for 3Ks and lower prior to DVArchive and Ethernet making it easy to extract shows.

·
Registered
8,143 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creech
In fact there are folks who created swappable enclosures for 3Ks and lower prior to DVArchive and Ethernet making it easy to extract shows.
Ooooh, Ooooh, Oooooh, I did that! That was back in the days of pioneering replaytv mpegs to SVCDs. That was a while ago.

Man the good ol' days. I don't think I ever fessed up to trying out an old syquest case to hold an IDE drive swap enclosure. I screwed up powering the drive from the syquest case PS with the IDE cable off the replay mobo. Boy was that a fun night! I thought a fuse would just blow, but I fried something seriously.

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff D
Ooooh, Ooooh, Oooooh, I did that! That was back in the days of pioneering replaytv mpegs to SVCDs. That was a while ago.

Man the good ol' days. I don't think I ever fessed up to trying out an old syquest case to hold an IDE drive swap enclosure. I screwed up powering the drive from the syquest case PS with the IDE cable off the replay mobo. Boy was that a fun night! I thought a fuse would just blow, but I fried something seriously.
That's why software engineers should stick to what they know best. :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.