AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
forgive my ignorance. I have a 50px60u Panasonic. i have a HDPVR box that allows me to set it to 720p or 1080i. Which should i set it on so the tv doesnt have to reconvert the signal... or what has the better processor or whatever its called for upconverting or whatever? does anyone have any idea what im talking about?

i am sorry again for such an ignorant post

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
they look about the same to me. i assume the 720 setting would be better for movies and 1080 for sports. But id like to know if i set my HDPVR to one or the other, that my TV wont have to reproccess it to display.

·
Premium Member
18,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by superscrappydoo /forum/post/15478912

forgive my ignorance. I have a 50px60u Panasonic. i have a HDPVR box that allows me to set it to 720p or 1080i. Which should i set it on so the tv doesnt have to reconvert the signal... or what has the better processor or whatever its called for upconverting or whatever? does anyone have any idea what im talking about?

This is asked a lot. I've tried both settings on my various flat panel TVs and in every case, the 1080i setting makes all the HD channels look crisper and more detailed than when i set it to output 720p, which looks much softer. The difference is pretty big - i'm surprised that you don't see it. Try it again - record some HD shows on HDNet and some other high-quality HD programs then play them back with each setting and look at the fine details.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts