AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have this pc....

i also have a 52" flatscreen i wish to use as its monitor. how can i do so thats cheap? does NOT have to be 1080p/hd, just something decent to view streaming vids, email, and so the text isnt fuzzy.....

ive heard just vga to component but then other people tell me it goes from analog to digital and that cant work.

im 100% stumped.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tower101 /forum/post/14168649

What TV?

not sure on model # its at my moms home, she wants to use it as web tv kind of, wireless mouse and keyboard.......

but it has component hookups ready to go in the back

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwarefy /forum/post/14168662

Hum your tv should have a VGA port like the one on your PC so a normally VGA cable would be a perfect fit

Use the cable you're using with the monitor and it should be ready to go !

i was under the impression not all tvs have vga input

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihaveworms /forum/post/14168676

You could always get a cheap video card with a DVI port on it and get a cheap DVI -> HDMI cable.

and it will have an available input? how hard is the install?

also arent there usb to dvi adapters?

any info on these?

thank you for your info so far everyone!

·
Registered
60 Posts
On newegg, there is a 2600PRO for a little under $25 after rebate(why can't we discuss prices here? That is foolish and does not make sense). It comes with a DVI to HDMI adapter that you plug into the DVI port. Then you can just use a standard HDMI cable of your choice.

As long as you have a PCI-E 16x slot in your PC, you can use it. You will need to see if there is such a slot available in the PC.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihaveworms /forum/post/14168701

On newegg, there is a 2600PRO for a little under $25 after rebate(why can't we discuss prices here? That is foolish and does not make sense). It comes with a DVI to HDMI adapter that you plug into the DVI port. Then you can just use a standard HDMI cable of your choice.

As long as you have a PCI-E 16x slot in your PC, you can use it. You will need to see if there is such a slot available in the PC.

do dell insiron 531/530 models have the pci-e 16x? look at the pic i posted theres like 4 'card' inputs on the bottom of the pc, is one of them a pci-e16x slot one?

·
Registered
60 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLS5 /forum/post/14168863

do dell insiron 531/530 models have the pci-e 16x? look at the pic i posted theres like 4 'card' inputs on the bottom of the pc, is one of them a pci-e16x slot one?

I would look at the service code number and look it up on dell to see absolutely sure.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:pCI-Express-Bus.jpg

That is what PCI-E looks like.

·
Registered
60 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLS5 /forum/post/14169104

how do i tell if dell 531 or 530 has it?

and if it does not what are other options?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihaveworms /forum/post/14169008

I would look at the service code number and look it up on dell to see absolutely sure.

Other options....hmm... maybe another video card with a different bus type and use a DVI -> HDMI connector.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihaveworms /forum/post/14169115

Other options....hmm... maybe another video card with a different bus type and use a DVI -> HDMI connector.

so lookin at the original pic it would seem that there is a slot for an additional video card which can have a dvi input? if so then i CAN buy a dvi to component cable.

why wouldnt vga to component work?

·
Registered
1,461 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihaveworms /forum/post/14168676

You could always get a cheap video card with a DVI port on it and get a cheap DVI -> HDMI cable.

For a COMPONENT connection? Doesn't make sense....

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.