AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a quick question I cannot find an answer to.

I'm gonna be driving only front 3 channels for a while and wanted to pick up an amp, originally I thought 3 mono blocks Outlaw M2200 which is 1x200

Seeing as multi channels are usually lower in power, what happens when you want to drive 3 channels on a 7 channel amp ?

Can you combine 2 channels together on a multi channel amp to give more power to the speakers ? I was looking at Outlaw 7125 which is 7x125 each channel.

I'm new to amps and trying to understand what's the better route for me.

Btw the most I will ever go is 5.1, I'm not into 7.1 setup, it just does not interest me.

·
Banned
5,866 Posts
If you mean bridging? I don't think Outlaw 7125 can be bridged, usually switches on the back. Bridging gives more output but you something about low impedence causes, limit on the current or something.

·
Registered
7,480 Posts
You sound unsure of yourself, Fatbottom. The purpose of amplifier bridging is to increase voltage swing, not to increase power. The problem is that it causes the amp to see an impedance of half of what it would see in a non bridged state. Since lower impedance requires more current to reach the same power level, it is possible to put a dangerous load on the amplifier and the speakers. Bridging is rarely done in home audio because it isn't necessary and, frankly, home audio equipment isn't built to handle it. The reality is that most of us never dissipate more than about 20 watts per channel even on peaks so the result of your amplifier upgrade is likely to be nothing more than complexity and cosmetics. There are exceptions, of course, but they are exceptions, not the rule. I do recognize that complexity is popular and cosmetics are important. Best of luck to you.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts