AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received a 52G786 and am considering using a calibration disc such as AVIA or DVE. To be honest, my admittedly untrained eye thinks the picture looks pretty flippin' good straight out of the box. I've heard more and more fixed pixel displays are coming from the factory pretty close to reference standard, is that the case with most of these sets? If not, which disc would you recommend to use? The sources are DirectTV HD via component and a Denon 2910 via HDMI. I'm not a complete newbie at this, but accessing the service menus and knowing what to do when I get there sounds rather daunting. ISF calibration isn't an option as the closest certified tech is hours away and charges $1,000-1,500 to come to my town. Ugh...

Thanks for your suggestions.

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Greetings

It may be easier to get a traveling calibrator to you for much less money. The SRP for an RPTV is $275 ... and then add some nominal travel fee ...

$500 and most likely a lot less should be easily attainable.

Regards

·
Registered
96 Posts
I used the DVE disk found most of the disk to be informative but have only used the basic calibration portion (brightness, contrast, color and tint). I found the color filters to be very useful in setting the exact color and tint. My eyes are not as good as they use to be...

I would like to adjust the grayscale but have yet to find anything concrete as to how to access that portion in the service menu.

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
Support your local ISF guy. He can do much more with contrast and grey than you'll ever get with the Disks. Well worth the money. Mine was 250, but I added a few extra bucks for a quick second look (JIC I switched a source device, which I did)

E

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedeskE
Support your local ISF guy. He can do much more with contrast and grey than you'll ever get with the Disks. Well worth the money. Mine was 250, but I added a few extra bucks for a quick second look (JIC I switched a source device, which I did)

E
Trust me, I more of an audio guy and would have no problem paying a couple of bills to an ISF tech. However, the ground would have to become exceedingly cold for me to pay someone over half the cost of the TV just to fine tune the picture. Thanks, but uh...I'll take the zero.

·
Registered
5,662 Posts
Using the Avia DVD for my DVD player and the HDNet test pattern from my HD-Tivo, I found that the Theater Pro mode was the closest to ideal. The only thing I had to adjust was the contrast and brightness. The colors were spot on using the filters. Another thing to note is to make sure you turn off Dynamic Gamma or the TV will crush blacks.

That being said, if I did an ISF calibration, I'm sure the picture would look even better due to grayscale, etc. But the picture looks as good as I can get it.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the tip on the Dynamic Gamma, toker. I'll take care of that tonight. I think I'll just have to order DVE and wade my way through the service menus.

·
Registered
5,662 Posts
Another quick note. The JVC has 4 video settings per resolution. Standard Definition (480i/480p) and High Definition (720p/1080i) have their own set of 4 video settings.

I also turned off Digital Noise Clear and Color Management because I didn't like what they were doing to the picture. Pause a DVD (I used The Incredibles) and adjust those options, you'll see what I mean.

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
i have a 52z575 and out of the box the settings were damn close, with avia and dve, the color and tint settings need minor adjustments, the picture and brightness will have to be adjusted to your room and conditions but the default picture setting of 0 is where my set is as is the bright, i have been in the service menu and adjusted the r g b drives using the color filters and i have them set equal to each other, i use the theater pro mode as it is awesome imho, the detail setting is all the way down for sd and at -20 for dvd, this set is as close to perfect out of the box as any ive seen :)

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg
i have a 52z575 and out of the box the settings were damn close, with avia and dve, the color and tint settings need minor adjustments, the picture and brightness will have to be adjusted to your room and conditions but the default picture setting of 0 is where my set is as is the bright, i have been in the service menu and adjusted the r g b drives using the color filters and i have them set equal to each other, i use the theater pro mode as it is awesome imho, the detail setting is all the way down for sd and at -20 for dvd, this set is as close to perfect out of the box as any ive seen :)
That's good news. As I mentioned, I'd heard that a lot of the newer microdisplays were coming out of the factory pretty well calibrated. I'm glad to here the JVC's might be one of them.

Last night I turned off all of the "correction" features this set has. Honestly, I didn't watch a lot last night so I can't really say if it's better or not. TPV recommends you do the same thing so I guess they'll stay off.

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
top speed,

sometimes depending on the channel for d* anyway the noise reduction helps

·
Registered
23 Posts
By the way I just calibrated my jvc 52g886 using sound and vision's calibrating disc, and the picture is phenomenal. I have the settings set to :

Tint +02

Color +04

Picture 00

Bright +03

Detail +03

Color temp (Low) If these settings can help anyone, feel free to use them, or if you have different settings let me know.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.