AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible to have two instances of DVArchive running on the same machine at the same time?

My reasoning.. i'm currnetly recording and dumping to DVA all the episodes of 'Farscape' that are re-running at 11:00 at night.. And, although I have enough HD space, (240 gigs) they are startign to fill up the guide so it's making it harder for my wife to find the shows she recorded (all shows get dumped to DVA)

What i would like to do is set up a second instance of DVA that grabs jsut the Farscape eps and stores them in a different location (the second HD) and keeps them seperate from the first.. that way i would have one with just the shows i watch that my wife could care less about and one with all other shows..

Is this possible or is it wishful thinking?

thanks in advance....

TOM

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
I suspect you can have multiple instances of dvarchive running, but I don't really understand the problem you are trying to solve. Why don't you just set up the farscape copying so that it automatically copies into a separate 'farscape' folder so that it doesn't clutter up the stuff your wife looks at?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If my wife understood such things, then perhaps that would be better.. Or maybe i'm doing something erroneously, but when she flips over to DVA on the replay the first thing it displays is All shows.. i've tried to explain that she could just tab over to the replay channel with her shows but she would rather b*tch at me about it :) Also, since i'm donwloading a lot of eps i thought it would be good to download Just those to the second HD to keep the primary one free...

It could be im making mountains out of molehills here...

TOM

·
Registered
30 Posts
Don't know a bunch about DV archive...but I do know that it's a god-sent as far as a program.

BUT, with that said, it can't do two instances on the same machine yet. If you have another machine laying around...you can put a copy of it on there and have it act as a competly different 'replay' box. Then just set up the storage to be over the network on that other drive that you were talking about.

DVA works great with mapped drives over a network. I am currently dealing with this dang Dawson Kid. 126 episodes in 6 weeks (4 hours a day) I don't have enough room in one machine...so I have 3 machines on with each drive mapped to my server. DVA treats all the drives a one and you can just scroll trhough the shows and DVA figures what drive they are stored on and plays it.

DVA is the main reason I bought a Replay box. Heck, I though the developers should get 10% of each box sold!!!!!

Good luck,

Jimmy

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by kamtom
Is it possible to have two instances of DVArchive running on the same machine at the same time?
Yes, but it may not be easy.

To do this, you will need two Network interfaces. For simplicity sake, I'd use two real NICs, but some O/Ss have the ability to bind multiple IP addresses to a single NIC and if you know how to do that, it should work.

on DVA #1, go into the DVA Properties dialog, Server tab and override the IP address (even if it is correct) and make sure the IP address is bound to the IP addressed assigned the first network interface. That should be all you need.

On DVA #2, you need to alter how it's started. You need to make the command line to run it look like this

java -jar DVArchive.har --store C:\\DVA2\\DVArchive.xml

(replace C:\\DVA2\\DVArchive.xml with any appropriate path to a different (non-home) location to store the DVA)

Start DVA #2, go to the DVA Properties, Server tab and override the IP address. Change the IP address to match the IP address assigned to the second network interface.

Important: DVA #1 and DVA #2 cannot have any overlapping sotrage directories (Local_Guide/ or Import/). If they do, you may loose shows as there are times two shows temporarily would have the same name (not when using a single instance, but when using two uncoordinated instances of DVA).

Quote:
My reasoning.. i'm currnetly recording and dumping to DVA all the episodes of 'Farscape' that are re-running at 11:00 at night.. And, although I have enough HD space, (240 gigs) they are startign to fill up the guide so it's making it harder for my wife to find the shows she recorded (all shows get dumped to DVA)
Well, not exactly a solution, V2.1 has the ability to mark entire categories and channels private. This keeps them from showing onthe RTV guide, but you can still play them on the computer and record new shows into them.

Of course, if you don't want to play them on the computer, well, this won't be much good (unless you constantly change state of categories/channels).

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JimmyReplay
DVA is the main reason I bought a Replay box. Heck, I though the developers should get 10% of each box sold!!!!!
That would be fun :)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the help Gerry.. Now that i know my options i will have to decide whether or not to set it up that way. That's exactly what i want to do, its just whether i'm ready to futz with something that works perfectly well right now.. I'll have to discuss this with the wife..

Thanks

TOM

·
Registered
168 Posts
Gerry, may I ask you a few questions as well.

Are you planning in future version add an ability to edit recorded shows properties and moving shows from category to category not on DVArchive but directly on RTVs? I see there is Properties option in right mouse click menu on those but it's currently grayed out/disabled. If not in your plans what are the reasons, technical or "others"?

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Baraka
Gerry, may I ask you a few questions as well.

Are you planning in future version add an ability to edit recorded shows properties and moving shows from category to category not on DVArchive but directly on RTVs? I see there is Properties option in right mouse click menu on those but it's currently grayed out/disabled. If not in your plans what are the reasons, technical or "others"?
If protocols for supporting that are added to the RTV and the means to use them decodable, sure. But right now, there is no way to do that (no facility to alter the show contents in the RTV from outside). Sounds like 5.0 might add some of that, but I won't be able to say much until the upgrade is done.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Gerry- I got home last night and tried what you said. I put in the second nic card and started up the second instace of DVA with the command string you said. Everything worked EXCEPT the server would not start.. I got the following error...

4/30 07:53:45 ERROR: Unable to open server socket -- Address already in use: JVM_Bind

04/30 07:53:45 ERROR: DVArchive cannot start a server on port 80, and will be unable to share video

any thought son what i should do?

·
Registered
348 Posts
Quote:
i've tried to explain that she could just tab over to the replay channel with her shows but she would rather b*tch at me about it :)
It seems to me the solution is clear. You just need to upgrade to a different model.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by quartrj
It seems to me the solution is clear. You just need to upgrade to a different model.
Unfortunately this particular model has spyware installed, and any attempt to upgrade to a newer model results in all functionality being lost in the users remote control.....Ifyouknowwhati'msayin.....

:)

TOM

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Quote:

4/30 07:53:45 ERROR: Unable to open server socket -- Address already in use: JVM_Bind

04/30 07:53:45 ERROR: DVArchive cannot start a server on port 80, and will be unable to share video

any thought son what i should do?
Sounds like something else already grabbed that NIC. As long as you are overriding the IP address, DVA should only bind to one IP addr.

Heres a little science experiment: On the existing, working copy of DVA, go into the DVA Properties, Server tab and change the IP address to the new IP Address. THen restart DVA. If it complains that the port is in use, then you have confirmation that something else on your system is grabbing the new NIC. If it works, try firing up the 2nd copy on the original IP address. If that also fails, then it's possible something in the way I bind DVA to a NIC is binding accross multiple NICs instead of just one.

Just remember that 1) You have to check the "override IP" address box in the server tab and 2) you have to restart DVA for address changes to take effect in the server.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
UPDATE:

Turns out it was a network issue.. For some reason the second nic was not getting assigned a correct IP . . I didnt even realize it until i went to switch ips like you had suggested. ..

After fixing the nic card issue it now works like a champ.. I'm in the process of exporting all shows from one DVA and into the other..

Thanks for all the Help Gerry... this is exactly the solution i was looking for!

one last question, i'm running WinXP on a PIII 450.. with nothing else running except these two porgrams.. is this robust enough to handle two programs?

TOM

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.