AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in a situation where I cannot put up a screen for a few months. I can however PAINT the wall ANY WAY I like.

I am painting the entire room in the next week or so (dedicated HT room with 1 window with mylar backed window covering so 100% light control).

I am planning on painting the majority of the room including the ceiling a dark burgundy red color. I am going to mask the front (projected upon) wall with black velvet fabric with the exception of the screen portion. I will eventually get a screen, but for now can only augment the image with paint.

I was always going to go with Behr Ultra White flat paint with suggestions I have heard on this forum.

What about some sort of grey paint though? Something more in line with the grey screens that are touted for LCD and DLP projectors (projector information below).

Just curious if anyone has had the opportunity to do side by side comparison of ultra white vs. grey screen with paint :^) Long shot, but do you KNOW how many people read this forum LOL!!

My projector is currently a Boxlight XP-60m (similar to the XP-5) and has a brightness of 1100 ANSI Lumens and a rated contrast of 400:1.

Thanks,

Shawn

·
Registered
6,339 Posts
a nice grey colour would be if you could get the colour of drywall. I remember when I was building my room I snuck the projector (ae100) down there while the drywall was up and it looked real good on it. deeper blacks without any negative colour effect.

I saw a greyhawk a couple times once and if I remember correctly, the grey of that screen is a little darker than drywall. My screen (Da-lite high contrast cinema vision) is a lighter grey than drywall.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm, the drywall I am used to seeing is either white or are you talking about the waterproof wall material they use in bathrooms (I am no Bob Villa here LOL), which is grey IIRC.

I thought I had heard that grey screens were about 18% grey. Hoping an expert pops their head in here :^)

Thanks,

Shawn

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, I didn't notice we had a whole SCREEN section on AVS LMAO! I posted this in a different forum and it was wisely moved here (thank you).

I will get to reading :^)

Shawn

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
I'm using my new LCD pj on my already light gray painted walls. The image quality is so good it's hard to part with the cash for a screen. It turns out that the walls in this room are almost exactly grayhawk gray and it works really well. Sorry I don't have a paint shade to give you, but the right shade works out well.

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
HTCrazy,

If your walls are working so well it sounds like you can save some cash for something else. If I were in that position I definitely wouldn't buy an expensive screen. Putting the money into curtains or a masking system might make sense.

You might want to look for someone in Louisville who was willing to bring a screen over in exchange for getting a chance to see the HS10, though. If you do that you would need a way to hang it, though. I think the picture hangers with 2 or 3 small nails that go down at an angle into the wall work pretty well as a temporary solution. They can mark the wall, but if they are temporary you could put paper, blue painter's tape or something behind them and then just have tiny holes. Also, the screen could mark the wall when it is pulled down, but putting a sheet behind it for a temporary test would take care of that. For attaching the screen to the hangers zip ties work pretty well, also.

--Darin

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.