AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I've gone through this whole forum for the last couple hours/days trying to find all the relevant information on Panny tv's, IPS-alpha screens, and the like lol.

This is my first HDTV (kind of a graduation present to myself), to be used in my room at a viewing distance of 5-10ft, for Blu-rays, Netflix, TV (sports), and PS3 gaming usage. From my understanding, 120hz is the ideal response rate for this kind of usage.

With that being said, I've narrowed it down to the following.

TC-L42U25

42" 1080P

IPS-Panel (Most likely LG S-IPS?)

120Hz Motion Plus 4

TC-L37D2

37" 1080P

IPS-LED Panel (Most likely IPS-Alpha?)

120Hz Motion Plus 4

At about the same price, which would you choose?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just purchased the TCL42U22 and it is definitely an S-IPS. I watched a bit of a football game and didn't notice any lag and I can say that you really don't miss the LED backlight. The TCL42 series uses an EEFL backlight which is more efficient and brighter than a CCFL backlight.

I did notice that the TCL42U25 had less artifacting than the TCL42U22 that I purchased. BestBuy had them both side-by-side and in a scene with rushing water the U22 had some obvious artifacts, where the U25 had none. I was bargain shopping so the U25 was out of the question for me.

For color accuracy the S-IPS panel on the U22 and U25 is very good. I returned a Sony Bravia EX400 because I could not get the color calibrated to my liking. It likely used a cheap panel, as it is Sony's most inexpensive 40 inch offering. Switching over the Panasonic made all the difference in the world.

Probably not a huge help since I have not been able to see a TCL37D2 in action. Just wanted to share my positive thoughts in the U22, and by proxy the U25.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks so much. I haven't gotten a chance to check them out side-by-side, but was kinda debating if the 5" loss in diagonal screen real estate was worth it for an ips-alpha panel. The U25 is a 120hz tv, so it should have less artifacting than it's 60hz brother. I think I just made a decision. Thanks again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts