Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone.

I want to update the BIOS of my ECS K5S7A motherboard. I am running Win 2K Pro SP2. I understand that I need to create a boot disk to get the A:\\ prompt. I can't figure out how to create the boot disk. The only option that I can find on the Win2K Pro CD is the creation of startup disks, which makes 4 floppys. If I recall correctly, when booting from disk 1, it prompts you to insert disk 2....etc.

According to the BIOS update info I have located, it seems there should be just one boot disk, which should give me the A:\\ prompt. I understand that I should run the flash utility, from the ECS site, from the A:\\ prompt.

I know this is an elementary question, but I have a lot to learn, and I'm sure one of you can help me out.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have kept searching for info. Does WIN2K not have DOS?!

·
Registered
94 Posts
You can find the files to create a boot disk at http://www.bootdisk.com

You will need to download the files to a folder on your hard drive (i.e. C:/download) and then copy them to a clean floppy.

After you make the boot disk, copy your new BIOS files to the floppy and follow the instructions on the ECS site for flashing your BIOS.

Hope this helps.

:)

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you so much. Two responses within 3 minutes! I really appreciate the help. I will give it a shot. I am hoping that the BIOS update will help my computer recognize a Maxtor ATA 133 controller. If not, at least the BIOS will be up to date for other reasons (stability, etc.)

BTW, welcome to the forum OKANG.

·
Registered
453 Posts
A plain 'ol DOS boot disk will work as well, since those flash programs typically fit on one floppy and were designed to run from a DOS prompt.

Al

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.