AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I upgrade my DirecTV receiver from the basic Hughes box to, say, the Tosh DST-3000, is a new activation required or do I simply unplug the SIM card (or whatever that card is called) from my old box and plug it into the new one?

Thanks in advance for your help

[This message has been edited by shrewdinvestor (edited 05-29-2001).]

·
Registered
119 Posts
you cannot just move the card most likely.. the card is "married" to the current receiver and the receiver's serial #.

you can call directv, they may be able to unmarry it and allow you to move it and remarry it, or at worst, they'll send you a new card and if you send back the old card (untampered with), it's free. if you only get a new card, it's like $35 or $39..

naturally, they make it tricky for the legit paying customers to help them in their fight against those who are not.. oh well.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Just call Directv and tell them you are upgrading receivers. They will ask for the serial number and access card number of the new receiver and then activate it. They will ask if the unit is hooked up and you are receiving channel 100 and may ask you to do a system test of the unit while on the phone with them. Call the 1-800-directv number and wade through the menus until you get the right one, changing service or something. This will only take a few minutes. I just changed one of mine from a Sony B50 to the DST-3000 last night. As stated above, the card is married to the unit and cannot be swapped easily to another.

I have done this several times when changing to new recievers, their customer services reps are good at this.

Warren

·
Registered
94 Posts
Warren is correct...

------------------

Stop Dfast DVI, and all that ****

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
bsaitz is BASICALLY correct. The newer "Hu" Cards CAN be transferred from one receiver to another. When I got my Toshiba DST-3000, DirecTV just turned off my old box/card combination and activated the Toshiba.

I have recently had problems with the Toshiba, and need to send it to Tennessee for repair. DirecTV had me put the card from the Toshiba into one of my old receivers. They just "marry" up the Serial number of the receiver and the access card.

If you want to give (or sell) your old receiver to someone (and it currently has a "Hu" card in it), you can ask DirecTV to utilize your existing card with your new receiver, and you can give (or sell) the old receiver along with the new card to someone else.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.