AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I have a really quick question regarding calibartion. I want to get my tv calibrated by a professional, now I have all my componets hooked up to the tv right now (xbox, ps3 and cable). My question is, should I wait and hook up all my componets to my Onkyo reciever before I calibrate my tv or should I just have my tv calibarted now?

·
Registered
201 Posts
For what it is worth, my Onyko SCP885 pre-pro DOES shift the color of the image. I have measured it with my colorimeter.

So I just calibrate my PJ with the train connected together. I just can't give up the convenience of HDMI switching of the pre-pro

·
Registered
6,288 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by engelba /forum/post/19567811

For what it is worth, my Onyko SCP885 pre-pro DOES shift the color of the image. I have measured it with my colorimeter.

So I just calibrate my PJ with the train connected together. I just can't give up the convenience of HDMI switching of the pre-pro

If you use the Onkyo on "pass through" it won't affect the color; only when the Reon is engaged. At least that's the case with my Integra DTC-9.8, which is basically the same pre-pro. Also, you must make sure that the on screen display (OSD) function is "off" because that also inserts the Reon into the equation.

Problem is that the Reon outputs a SD color space with HD resolution. Since it's HD resolution, the PJ thinks it's getting a HD/709 color space and decodes accordingly. This results in incorrect colors.

·
Registered
201 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlb /forum/post/19569870

If you use the Onkyo on "pass through" it won't affect the color; only when the Reon is engaged. At least that's the case with my Integra DTC-9.8, which is basically the same pre-pro. Also, you must make sure that the on screen display (OSD) function is "off" because that also inserts the Reon into the equation.

Problem is that the Reon outputs a SD color space with HD resolution. Since it's HD resolution, the PJ thinks it's getting a HD/709 color space and decodes accordingly. This results in incorrect colors.

Thanks for the tip.... I actually do have "HDMI Through" enabled but didn't even to stop to think about the OSD.

I am curious as to why in the world it outputs a SD color space.

·
Registered
6,288 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by engelba /forum/post/19570454

Thanks for the tip.... I actually do have "HDMI Through" enabled but didn't even to stop to think about the OSD.

I am curious as to why in the world it outputs a SD color space.

It's because of an error in Onkyo's implementation of the Reon. Other components using Reon (e.g., my Toshiba XA2) don't have the problem.

I first advised Onkyo/Integra of the issue in May 08. Many others on AVS complained of the color shift issue; although some thought it was strictly an error in coverting color spaces. Either way, the issue results in an incorrect color shift when a signal is passed through Reon processing.

However, two things definitely had consensus:

1) Onkyo never fixed the issue (means I'll never buy another Onkyo or Integra product).

2) Passthrough plus no OSD eliminates the problem (although it also means the Reon provides no benefit).

I resolved the issue by permanent passthrough and now using a DVDO Edge for upconversion and other video processing requirements.

·
Registered
201 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlb /forum/post/19573937

It's because of an error in Onkyo's implementation of the Reon. Other components using Reon (e.g., my Toshiba XA2) don't have the problem.

I first advised Onkyo/Integra of the issue in May 08. Many others on AVS complained of the color shift issue; although some thought it was strictly an error in coverting color spaces. Either way, the issue results in an incorrect color shift when a signal is passed through Reon processing.

However, two things definitely had consensus:

1) Onkyo never fixed the issue (means I'll never buy another Onkyo or Integra product).

2) Passthrough plus no OSD eliminates the problem (although it also means the Reon provides no benefit).

I resolved the issue by permanent passthrough and now using a DVDO Edge for upconversion and other video processing requirements.

Again, I can't thank you enough for bring this to my attention. I've been chasing my tail on this for while now and who knows how much longer it would have taken me to find this.

I've been reading the threads on this issue and it is exactly what I am seeing - green oversaturation etc....

I don't mind so much losing the REON features, as my Epson PJ does upscaling etc.... for me anyways but I will miss the OSD since my 885 is behind doors, so I can't easily see the LCD display on the device.

I also read several posts about a firmware update (1.10?) that supposedly fixes it but I am not sure if that is real or not.

...and sorry to the OP for hijacking the thread!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts