AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First..

My A/V Reciever ( Denon 3802 ) doesn't have HDMI .

Currently using Xbox for games and HD movies on my LCD TV via component and using the Optical on my reciever for 5.1 Audio. Also using component/Optical with my cable box .

LCD TV and cable box have HDMI but never used due to the reciever not having HDMI.

I want to be able to connect my Xbox to my new projector right away via HDMI and not lose the 5.1 audio.

I don't want to buy a 25 foot component to get the Xbox working . I only want to run HDMI because I will be buying a new reciever and a bluray player at a later date but don't have the funds right now.Really don't want to throw away money on a component cable to get the xbox audio working with the PJ.

So if I connect the HDMI from Xbox to projector and connect my optical cable to XBOX and then to my reciever will I still get the 5.1 audio ?

I'm hoping the optical audio portion will override the HDMI so I'm able to get 5.1 audio for the xbox games and HD movies via optical even tho I'm using the HDMI for video and audio.

Thanks

·
Registered
578 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Rain /forum/post/18284511

First..

My A/V Reciever ( Denon 3802 ) doesn't have HDMI .

Currently using Xbox for games and HD movies on my LCD TV via component and using the Optical on my reciever for 5.1 Audio. Also using component/Optical with my cable box .

LCD TV and cable box have HDMI but never used due to the reciever not having HDMI.

I want to be able to connect my Xbox to my new projector right away via HDMI and not lose the 5.1 audio.

I don't want to buy a 25 foot component to get the Xbox working . I only want to run HDMI because I will be buying a new reciever and a bluray player at a later date but don't have the funds right now.Really don't want to throw away money on a component cable to get the xbox audio working with the PJ.

So if I connect the HDMI from Xbox to projector and connect my optical cable to XBOX and then to my reciever will I still get the 5.1 audio ?

I'm hoping the optical audio portion will override the HDMI so I'm able to get 5.1 audio for the xbox games and HD movies via optical even tho I'm using the HDMI for video and audio.

Thanks

Yes, that will work, though you will need to modify your existing component cable to allow it to coexist with an HDMI cable. The connector housing on your component cable needs to be removed to make space. It's just a piece of plastic that is easy to remove. Once that is done, both cable will fit at the same time, but now you may encounter the dreaded HDMI switching reboot issue. If you are viewing the 360 over HDMI and temporarily switch your monitor/TV/projector to a different input and then back to the 360, the 360 will reboot itself. You can fix that by disassembling the component AV connector and snipping the wire connecting pin 26 to pin 28. Alternatively, some folks have done it easier by just putting a piece of tape over pin 28. Once done, put the HD/SD switch in the SD position and the reboot issue will be gone and you will still have audio via the optical connection.

MS does sell an HDMI audio dongle for just the purpose you want, but it costs $40-$50. That one is thin enough to fit without modification of course. Otherwise there is the Madcatz component cable that is also thin enough, but that one still needs either the tape mod, or jumper removal to eliminate the reboot issue.

http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/Prod...oduct_id=33927

P.J.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
WOW Valence thanks so much for the chock full of info post..really nice of you as you went above and beyond.

I wasn't even aware of the xbox reboot problem and glad you mentioned it.

Hey if you have a paypal account I would like to send you $5.00 for answering my question and saving me a future headache with the rebooting thingy.

Thanks again

Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valence01 /forum/post/18284708

Yes, that will work, though you will need to modify your existing component cable to allow it to coexist with an HDMI cable. The connector housing on your component cable needs to be removed to make space. It's just a piece of plastic that is easy to remove. Once that is done, both cable will fit at the same time, but now you may encounter the dreaded HDMI switching reboot issue. If you are viewing the 360 over HDMI and temporarily switch your monitor/TV/projector to a different input and then back to the 360, the 360 will reboot itself. You can fix that by disassembling the component AV connector and snipping the wire connecting pin 26 to pin 28. Alternatively, some folks have done it easier by just putting a piece of tape over pin 28. Once done, put the HD/SD switch in the SD position and the reboot issue will be gone and you will still have audio via the optical connection.

MS does sell an HDMI audio dongle for just the purpose you want, but it costs $40-$50. That one is thin enough to fit without modification of course. Otherwise there is the Madcatz component cable that is also thin enough, but that one still needs either the tape mod, or jumper removal to eliminate the reboot issue.

http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/Prod...oduct_id=33927

P.J.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts