AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m in the middle of building a sub and I’m using cardboard sonotube for the main body. I was just wondering about commercially available tube subs, like the PC subs from SVS. What do they make the tube body out of? Cardboard, wood, MDF, plastic, the pressed remains of lesser subs? It’s not important. Just curious. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
SVS uses a 0.25" thick, very dense (low air content) spiral wrapped material formed under extreme pressures with precise tolerances using CNC tooling. It is machine cut and outer wrapped with a black polymer to seal out moisture.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJon
Quick Question: SVS PC Subs. What are the tubes made out of?
They are made out of sugar and spice and everything nice:D

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Mullen
SVS uses a 0.25" thick, very dense (low air content) spiral wrapped material formed under extreme pressures with precise tolerances using CNC tooling. It is machine cut and outer wrapped with a black polymer to seal out moisture.
So does that mean it's like a compressed glue + fiber of some sort? Like maybe chip board (OSB) or MDF? Is it made specifically for SVS or are they using some off-the-shelf part that I could also buy for a sub DIY project?

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNICRON-WMD
They are made out of sugar and spice and everything nice:D
Well duh! I already knew that. I was just wondering what the chemical content of the pixie dust is that they use to make them sound so good.

:p

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
There is nothing wrong with using a quality concrete form "sonotube" for your DIY subs. The tubes are inherently strong, and you can finish the outsides in whatever manner you want. I've used sonotubes with some of the most extreme (high-output) drivers available, and haven't had one problem. Now, the ones I get aren't made out of pixie dust but they seem okay anyway!

JP

·
Registered
406 Posts
Hmm, I remember seeing that pic of one / some Ultra drivers on a table. Next to it were some 30" diameter "sonocco" tubes.

Eh? :)

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJon
So does that mean it's like a compressed glue + fiber of some sort? Like maybe chip board (OSB) or MDF? Is it made specifically for SVS or are they using some off-the-shelf part that I could also buy for a sub DIY project?
It is a compressed fibrous material. It is US made specifically for SVS. It is not sonotube (or any of its equivalents) - it is thicker and denser than sonotube. Some of the very first SVS cylinders subs used sonotube, but they quickly moved away from it years ago. This isn't to say sonotube isn't adequate for DIY subwoofer projects - it is fine.

The 30" sonotube in the corner of that pic is a DIY project TV built years ago - it has quad 12" woofers.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Ah, yeah I heard about that one before. I just thought all along that, well, since a sonotube is in that pic, that maybe they simply used sonotubes for the entire lineup. :)

Ty for the info.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.