AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a cheap progressive scan DVD player that doesn't mention DTS on it anywhere. If my reciever does mention DTS on it will i hear the 5.1 DTS content on my surround sound system?

If not are there movies out there that only come in DTS and i am screwed?

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
If you have war of the worlds you can try it and see..

·
Registered
6,946 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocoasprinkles /forum/post/0

I have a cheap progressive scan DVD player that doesn't mention DTS on it anywhere. If my reciever does mention DTS on it will i hear the 5.1 DTS content on my surround sound system?

You won't get DTS unless the player sends the DTS stream. Nearly all of them do, but there was a recent instance of at least one player that didn't/doesn't - but I don't recall that particular model. Listing the specific model of player would be nice if you want a more specific answer.

If you go into the player setup menu (not the disc setup menu), sometimes there is a reference to enabling DTS output.

I've never seen a DTS-only movie, but I can't say they don't exist 'cause I don't know that.

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
It was the panasonic A-300 that did not pass dts out from the optical cable,so the toshiba should work.

·
Registered
6,946 Posts
IMO, you're SOL...

In a quick skim though the manual I saw no mention of DTS.

If the manual is correct, you have no DTS capability from that player. It's best to give it a try just to make sure, but don't be surprised if it doesn't work.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocoasprinkles /forum/post/0

There is no such thing as DTS only because the spec says that there must be either DD or PCM. However, you might miss a 5.1 track - The Eagles Hell Freezes Over (and maybe even the Farewell Tour) have 5.1 DTS or 2.0 PCM only.

Ed

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.