AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Toshiba plasma in my room. It's amazing, considering it's my first hdtv and it's 720p/1080i. My dad has a brick RPTV. The older ones that weigh 500 pounds. He wants to keep it until it goes out. I'm not going to wait that long and I am going to buy him a new RPTV. I've already made up my mind on which one I am going to get. I think for the price and picture, the JVC HD70FN97 is better than the Sony KDS-R70XBR2. My question is, should I get the JVC now or wait for HDMI 1.3. I know some of you will say it's up to you. The thing is, it's for my dad and he can obviously wait longer, but do you think it will be worth it to wait for HDMI 1.3. Will there by a "major" improvement in pq that will blow me away?

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
No, there will not be a major improvement that will blow you away. Maybe in the future there will be devices that fully take advantage of 1.3, but by then you will probably be ready for a new display anyway...

Put it this way, let's say you wait for the new set. Are you going to have it professionaly calibrated or eyeball it? Are you going to buy the latest HD-DVD player (I'm an optimist) that promises full support for 1.3 or stay with the current one?

My point is that there will always be something "better" coming along and we all love to jump on the bandwagon w/o fully optimizing what we have. My old boss has a $10k Faroujda line quadrupler that he brags about, but he's the contrast jacked up so high on his display I feel like I need to wear sunglasses just to watch the thing. He could have saved the 10k and spent 4-$500 having it calibrated instead and he'd have been better off.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.