AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The sound in my HT is bothering me. When I listen to stereo music, just the 2 front speaker the sound is fine. But when watching a movie in 5.1 the music during the movies is more left sided. it feels like the whole shound stage is left sided. I did switch my bookshelf speaker and my regular center speaker for testing purposes. Im at work right now, and it's really bugging the crap out of me. Does anybody know if that could be the problem. I haven't treated the room for sound yet, but didn't have that probelm until I did the switch.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I'm no audio expert, but I know that some speakers are much better performers for the center and some are better for surround. That being said, there are other issues with each system, such as the setup of the amplifier (receiver) for proper balance, size of speaker, distance, and other such items. It pays to have an audio setup disc to help with this.

These are some ideas, not the final answer to your question.

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Yes it sounds like you need a calibration disk and to calibrate your system. that would be the first thing, if that does not do it then you will have to try some acoustic fixes for the room itself.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
I agree with the above: get Avia or Digital Video Essentials or some other calibration

DVD (or HDDVD) and a radio shack analog sound meter (some use digital, but the analog can sometimes work better and it's cheaper).

One quick experiment before you get this: play a movie that seems left sided and disconnect your rear speakers. See if it's still unbalanced. If it isn't, but is with the rear speakers in, you may have the left/right rear unbalanced.

Another quick check: your receiver probably has individual volume adjusts for each channel. Make sure that none of the speakers is accidentally cranked up.

·
Banned
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't have a lot of stuff in the room, especially on the walls. Two leather sofas and a recliner for furniture, TV and the speaker and the comp. rack. Everything is fine when listening to music on a cd or the radio, but certain music scores in the movie sound more left side, sound fx and such is fine. It feels like there is too much reflection off the side walls.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.