AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see that digitalconnection has these ready to sell right now. I have been on the waiting list for hipix for some time now and I am thinking this might be the card to have. Does anyone know of a good reason why someone should wait for the Hipix over the MyHD card?

Also, the description of how it works sort of throws me as well. Does it work the same as the Hipix where the output is actually just full-screen hdtv? Does it show your desktop too? I am assuming there is a straight-forward way to use this card along with a video card for dvd playback such as the Radeon LE. Could someone elaborate?

Thanks.

·
Registered
213 Posts
JP

The MDP-100 has the same basic functionality as the HiPix (HDTV display, recording, playback, etc.). It also offers features that the HiPix doesn't currently offer - .vob playback, NTSC capture, and recording/playback with D-VHS. There are several different ways to display the output(s) - the same as with a HiPix. If you use the loopback cable, you can view the desktop using your primary display, and watch the HDTV content in a window. You can also watch it full screen. On my NEC LT150 I didn't notice any distortion using the pass through cable. Currently I'm using a Radeon 7500 that has dual output - I can watch the windowed HDTV output on either display (whichever has the primary overlay enabled).

I've had good experiencewith the MDP-100 - however I do not have a HiPix or AccessDtv to compare it to.

Darryl

·
Registered
953 Posts
I would like to get more information before I buy.

I have not seen any explanations regarding how DVHS support works for the MyHD card. It would be nice to use this card a virtual STB for DVHS recorders, but which ones are supported?

In addition, the 169Time web site states that its product appears as a tape deck in Windows XP. Does this indicate that the MyHD card can talk to 169Time?

Is there a utility to rename the MyHD files to the Hipix file naming convention? Are the files one-minute files? So many questions......

·
Registered
4,321 Posts
stjr,

There's a thread in the HDTV recorder forum regarding the MyHD card with D-VHS recorders. Following is a quote from Jaehong Lee:

Quote:
I heard you have to register HD-1000 manually, panasonic NV-DH1 and JVC DH-30000 are recognized automatically.
I have not tried this feature as yet, so I can't comment, but you can read more at:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6&pagenumber=1

Can't comment about 169Time either.

No utility that I know of yet for conversion of HiPix files for MyHD. I had to do it the old-fashioned way...manually renaming the files.

Kei Clark

Digital Connection

·
Banned
3,772 Posts
Possibly the downside to the MyHD is lack of

program guide/scheduling for timeshifting.

Kei - has this been improved recently?

Also the HiPix card has AVSforum members working

on improving the code. I put in some of my own

ideas like an "antenna aim utility" and an "edit/crop

list" feature which aren't part of any other cards

right now. Other AVSforum members have done work

to support network playback, native Plasma/dILA

output modes (1365x768), etc.

Analog recording and DVD playback are still missing

from the HiPix though.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Thanks Kei,

I read Jaehong Lee's post, but I guess I didn't feel comfortable with the second hand nature of his testimony, so I guess I discounted it. It would be nice if a copy of an owner's manual that explained real time DVHS recording were available for download.

This card seems to have the potential to serve as a universal interface between HTPC's and DVHS recorders. I suppose that copy protection is the wild card in the mix.

If the MyHD card (using IEEE1394) were compatible with 169Time, we might be able to record DirecTV without having to buy an expensive DVHS deck. This could take on added importance when the Dish Network pulls the plug on the Dish 5000 modulator. The 169Time site says that the company does not offer tech support for PC hard drive operations, although the 1.6 firmware supports it. MyHD could provide that support and possibly be more user friendly than the Windows XP and Dstream utilities.

Could the MyHD card be used to back up files from the upcoming Dish 921 PVR? The list of questions goes on. Any information is appreciated.

·
Registered
13,423 Posts
â€Possibly the downside to the MyHD is lack of program guide/scheduling for timeshifting.â€

PVR,

While MyHD does not currently have a program guide it does have manual scheduling. MIT calls scheduled recording “Reservation Captureâ€. :D

MIT is beginning to see the light with TitanTV.

·
Registered
13,423 Posts
â€I read Jaehong Lee's post, but I guess I didn't feel comfortable with the second hand nature of his testimony, so I guess I discounted it.â€

Alan (owner of AVS) has the MyHD card and a D-VHS deck on order. I’m sure he will be posting his findings after he receives the recorded.

â€Could the MyHD card be used to back up files from the upcoming Dish 921 PVR?â€

Who knows? Does anyone have the “upcoming†device for testing with the MyHD card?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Like you, I'm also on the Hipix waiting list. The MyHD cards are not available yet as I spoke to Digital Connection, they need to know first how many people are interested before they placed the order for the card (hence the powerbuy), but they told me that they should know sometime next week. BTW, the Hipix card has been pushed back again ti'll "maybe by Wednesday next week as it's still being held in customs".

-Jeff

Quote:
Originally posted by JP
I see that digitalconnection has these ready to sell right now. I have been on the waiting list for hipix for some time now and I am thinking this might be the card to have. Does anyone know of a good reason why someone should wait for the Hipix over the MyHD card?

Also, the description of how it works sort of throws me as well. Does it work the same as the Hipix where the output is actually just full-screen hdtv? Does it show your desktop too? I am assuming there is a straight-forward way to use this card along with a video card for dvd playback such as the Radeon LE. Could someone elaborate?

Thanks.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Quote:
Does anyone have the “upcoming†device for testing with the MyHD card?
The 169Time STB's are available now for testing with the MyHD card, but I assume the STB's are being used with DVHS decks already, so the owners have less incentive to record to an HTPC.

·
Registered
13,423 Posts
"The MyHD cards are not available yet as I spoke to Digital Connection, they need to know first how many people are interested before they placed the order for the card (hence the powerbuy), but they told me that they should know sometime next week."

Jeff,

This is the response I posted to you in the other MDP-100 thread.

"Let’s be perfectly clear about this. An initial order has been placed and the powerbuy will determine how many additional cards must be ordered."

We should have the first shipment from MIT by the end of next week.

·
Registered
13,423 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by stjr

The 169Time STB's are available now for testing with the MyHD card, but I assume the STB's are being used with DVHS decks already, so the owners have less incentive to record to an HTPC.
I was asking about the Dish 921 PVR.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Cliff,

When I called this afternoon I got the impression that they were waiting to see how many people would place a pre-order first before ordering the cards. When I checked out the website I thought that it was already in stock an available for shipping. Anyway, at this point I really don't care anymore, I told the person that I spoke to that whichever card comes in first that's the one I'll buy, the only thing is I hope that the MyHD card doesn't fall on the same "customs black hole" that the Hipix cards did.

-Jeff

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Cliff Watson

Alan (owner of AVS) has the MyHD card and a D-VHS deck on order. I’m sure he will be posting his findings after he receives the recorded.

[
Alan just told me that he will be receiving the JVC D-VHS VERY soon which is what he will be testing with.

I was hoping someone has done some testing with the MITS D-VHS since it is a WHOLE lot cheaper.

Any takers?

Joe

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.