Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy,

I just recently purchased a Yamaha YHT-160 (5.1) and am very happy with it. It has great sound (IMHO) and a slew of inputs that I'm not even using yet (still have to go spend a fortune on cables).

My questions are in regards to digital audio inputs and outputs for the Dolby 5.1 format. I'm wanting to run the digital audio from my DVR and DVD to the unit.

Does the audio optical I/O contain everything you need to take advantage of the 5.1 format?

Does the audio digital "coax" I/O (just an orange RCA jack) contain everything you to take advantage of the 5.1 format?

If this is the case then what advantage is there to using the optical cable over the "coax" (orange RCA jack)?

If they are the same then why was the Optical I/O every created?

Thanks for your time and input.

-Wade

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
digital coax can be susceptible to RF, optical is not. For cost consideration, use coax unless you have an environment with the RF problem. WHen you run out of coax inputs, you'll have no choice but to use optical..

Oh, and w/o opening a can of worms, some claim to hear a difference between optical and coax connections. But noone seems to be able to prove one or the other is better...

They both carry all the necessary info for 5.1 DD, DTS, DTS-ES, DD-EX, you name it...but they will NOT carry SACD/DVD-A....

·
Registered
12,234 Posts
Optical or coaxial digital input jacks basically do the same electrical function..

But note an increasing amount of source components are using optical outputs so often a low cost AVR will have a limited # of digital inputs..

As mentioned previously Coax cables are less expensive than optical, also optical cables (fiber-optics) are not as capable for runs longer than 12'..

·
Registered
757 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCarncross
digital coax can be susceptible to RF, optical is not.
... perhaps in terms of disturbing a audio signal from device-A to device-B, but light is certainly affected by RF. RF has a E and B field, and very large B fields can bend light !!

but as related to connecting 2 devices i dont think RF is too much of concern unless the cables are very long and/or are draped over amplifiers, etc, and even in these cases toslink will be fine...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.