AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to hook up a HD DVR, reciever, and HDTV.

Question: Using HDMI cables and an optical wire for sound, what is the best way to hook all three together for surround sound? Which wires would I connect to each other?

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
Assuming that:

a) all devices have HDMI

b) HDDVR outputs both audio and video over HDMI

c) receiver accepts/plays audio received via HDMI (i.e., NOT pass through)

then, connect HDDVR to receiver via HDMI cable and receiver to HDTV via HDMI cable. You're done - no optical cable required

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that info. Kind of new to the surround sound here. Here is what I'm going to have.....

Sony Bravia 52W4100 (TV)

Sony Bravia DAV-HDX576WF (DVD Home Theater)

Comcast HD DVR (Cable Box)

I'm not sure if that helps you clear up your assumables or not, but I think it is possible I might need the optical wire for some reason. I remember someone at Best Buy running that by me awhile back. They could easily be wrong though. Anymore thoughts?

·
Registered
485 Posts
Glancing quickly at the specs for the sony HTiB receiver, it doesn't look like it has a HDMI input, so You'll have to run HDMI cables for video to the TV and an optical from you DVR to your receiver, to get surround sound for Cable. Assuming your TV has two HDMI inputs.

If you cable box has component outs, you can run components to the receiver, BUT the receiver might not transcode the signal to HDMI to send out to your TV.

I think 2 HDMI video runs with an optical is you best bet.

Hope that helps

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes sir, that is the exact direction I think Im heading in. Thanks for that help. Here's another question for ya then.

Question: With the specs on the HTiB, would I be able to connect a Xbox 360 to the reciever using (3) component video and (2) component audio cables to get surround sound. I never used a reciever to play video games before, if those component cable WOULD work, I then wouldn't have to run anything from the 360 into the actual TV??

·
Registered
485 Posts
With the 360 if you ran stereo audio (red and white RCA), you'll only get stereo. Except simulated surround sound which you receiver would produce, but it wouldn't be true surround sound.

If your cable box has coaxial digital out (single RCA, typically orange in color) you can connect that to the receiver, and use the 360's optical. I don't think the 360 has an option for coaxial digital. Again with the video if the receiver does transcode everything to HDMI you should be good to go. If not you'll have to run the component video to the TV.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts