AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my htpc is enclosed in a cabinet to help shield out some of the noise (the rear is well ventilated)....i'd like to get it quieter still....

are there any negative effects of removing the case lid if the computer is housed in the cabinet? i guess dust might gather more readily, but are there any other issues that i should worry about?

thanks

JOel

·
Registered
457 Posts
I think your best bet would first be to start changing out any noisy fans with quieter models, I have had excellent results with Nexus Silent Fans, since fan noise is probably your No. 1 culprit. Some cases are designed to be sealed, so that the airflow is routed in a certain fashion.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Yeah if you open the case, it might reduce airflow in the case, and if the cabinet itself is well ventilated, you might have better luck with the PC closed. Besides, wouldn't removing the case lid cause the PC to be louder than leaving it on?

You could always install MBM or Speedfan (or similar termperature monitoring utility that might have come with your motherboard) and measure the temperature differences of your CPU and motherboard with the PC open vs. closed. Check the temperatures while stress testing you system (SiSoft Sandra is good for this).

·
Registered
24 Posts
You might want to look at the construction of the cabinet too. Maybe throw some sound dampner in there, it will let you retain your vents and maybe kill some of the sound...

Just an idea, but the best bet is new fans...

·
Oppo Beta Group
11,842 Posts
I would check out Silentpcreview.com.

The CPU and video fans are the first to worry about.

Then of course, there are highly efficient power supples like the Seasonic which generate very little noise and excess heat.

It can be a bad idea to remove the case cover since airflow in the case can cool ohter components.

-- Rich

·
Registered
159 Posts
North bridge fan is often the loudest fan. Followed by the VGA fan.

if your case has good airflow, then maybe you could foam insulate the box to cut the sound out?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.