AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Haven't asked any questions here in a long time - here's a bunch... I'm about to get a PS3 for Bluray playback (and occasional games
and I'm out of HDMI connections on my TV (JVC 1080p DILA Pro model - but no 1080p in
... I'd also like to take advantage of the higher quality audio from the HDMI connection, though I admittedly know little about this. Can you help me decide on a receiver that will suit my needs and be simple to setup? Consider:

1. Price range is around $1,000 (less if possible), though I could spend more if I really had to...

2. I currently have (and don't plan to change) a 5.1 setup with Klipsch RF3-II reference series speakers.

3. I also have a second zone that I'd like to be able to use (just 2 bookshelf speakers in another room - also wired for outdoor speakers, but never setup - a 3rd zone would be nice, but not needed).

4. I may get a new TV someday in the not too distant future (to accept 1080p), but I don't want to have to upgrade my receiver again for awhile... At any rate, does the receiver's HDMI connections matter as far as being able to pass 1080p24/60 through?

5. I currently have a Denon AVR-3802 which has been fine for me.

6. What about HDMI 1.3 - I'll admit I know nothing about it, but is it something I need to wait for and not buy a receiver now (there are no 1.3 receivers currently available, right?)?

7. Similarly to #6, should I just change my Comcast DVR to component and use the HDMI connection for the PS3 (but lose some audio quality by using fiber from the PS3)? ...and not get a new receiver for now?

Thanks in advance for your help,

--Kyle

· Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks axs, that was a very helpful read. A couple simple things I'm confused on though...

1. Since I don't have a 7.1 setup, "all receiveres are future proof". Well, my current receiver doesn't have HDMI (obviously that's not included), so since I can't connect the PS3 to my receiver through HDMI, do I not get the best audio quality (by using Toslink)? Or does that just apply to 7.1?

2. Would both of these Denons fall under that "future proof" category? 2807, 3806? Those are in my price range... I'm disappointed they only have 2 HDMI inputs though

3. If HDMI 1.3 "adds 7.1 channels Dolby and DTS (True HD)", how can the current receivers that aren't HDMI 1.3 support this? I mean, if it can't be done through fiber / coax, and can't do it through HDMI 1.1/1.2, how's it work? TrueHD 7.1 from the PS3 for example - how does that get into the receiver if not through HDMI 1.3? Maybe I just don't understand what HDMI 1.3 adds... Thanks,

--Kyle

· Registered
541 Posts
the new HD audio formats (trueHD and DTS HD) are decoded on the players, which then send the LPCM to the receiver. the whole hdmi 1.3 is confusing and frustrating. there's a whole forum here dedicated to the discussion now.

· Registered
164 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYamnitz /forum/post/0

Hi All,

Haven't asked any questions here in a long time - here's a bunch... I'm about to get a PS3 for Bluray playback (and occasional games
and I'm out of HDMI connections on my TV (JVC 1080p DILA Pro model - but no 1080p in
... I'd also like to take advantage of the higher quality audio from the HDMI connection, though I admittedly know little about this. Can you help me decide on a receiver that will suit my needs and be simple to setup? Consider:

1. Price range is around $1,000 (less if possible), though I could spend more if I really had to...

2. I currently have (and don't plan to change) a 5.1 setup with Klipsch RF3-II reference series speakers.

3. I also have a second zone that I'd like to be able to use (just 2 bookshelf speakers in another room - also wired for outdoor speakers, but never setup - a 3rd zone would be nice, but not needed).

4. I may get a new TV someday in the not too distant future (to accept 1080p), but I don't want to have to upgrade my receiver again for awhile... At any rate, does the receiver's HDMI connections matter as far as being able to pass 1080p24/60 through?

5. I currently have a Denon AVR-3802 which has been fine for me.

6. What about HDMI 1.3 - I'll admit I know nothing about it, but is it something I need to wait for and not buy a receiver now (there are no 1.3 receivers currently available, right?)?

7. Similarly to #6, should I just change my Comcast DVR to component and use the HDMI connection for the PS3 (but lose some audio quality by using fiber from the PS3)? ...and not get a new receiver for now?

Thanks in advance for your help,

--Kyle

I have a PS3 and just purchased an AVR3806, hooked up via HDMI.. Watched Tears of the Sun in uncompressed PCM audio, totally amazing! If you have a Denon now, you won't be dissapointed. I went the 3806 route because of the better DAC's on board.

Couldn't be happier.

· Registered
2,058 Posts

Quote:

1. Since I don't have a 7.1 setup, "all receiveres are future proof". Well, my current receiver doesn't have HDMI (obviously that's not included), so since I can't connect the PS3 to my receiver through HDMI, do I not get the best audio quality (by using Toslink)? Or does that just apply to 7.1?

If you don't care about newer HD lossless audio formats like TrueHD etc, you will be happy with Toslink/Digital Co-ax. You will not get these lossless format over toslink/digital co-ax.

Quote:

2. Would both of these Denons fall under that "future proof" category? 2807, 3806? Those are in my price range... I'm disappointed they only have 2 HDMI inputs though

Yes. Both 2807 and 3806 are confirmed level 6 receivers. Another one in this price range (with 3 HDMI input) is Pioneer Elite vsx-82txs, but has LFE issue (which is likely to be fixed by a firmware upgrade in near future).

Quote:

3. If HDMI 1.3 "adds 7.1 channels Dolby and DTS (True HD)", how can the current receivers that aren't HDMI 1.3 support this? I mean, if it can't be done through fiber / coax, and can't do it through HDMI 1.1/1.2, how's it work? TrueHD 7.1 from the PS3 for example - how does that get into the receiver if not through HDMI 1.3? Maybe I just don't understand what HDMI 1.3 adds... Thanks,

--Kyle

It is decoded in the player (PS3 has TrueHD decoder) and sent across as multi channel PCM over HDMI. All you need is a player capable of decoding these newer formats, which has either HDMI 1.1 (or higher) or multi channel analog output (PS3 does not have this, so only option is HDMI) and a receiver with either HDMI 1.1 (or higher) or multi channel analog inputs. Check this Dolby article on this topic for more info:
http://www.dolby.com/consumer/techno...HD_avrs_2.html

· Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Great, I think I've got it now. So, the PS3 would send out the TrueHD (for example) as 7.1 lossless audio over HDMI, and an HDMI 1.1+ receiver would work with it, right?

With me having a 5.1 setup though, would the PS3 downmix (or whatever) Bluray movies to 5.1 and pass it as lossless to the receiver over HDMI?

I'll take a look at that Pioneer - having 3 HDMI inputs would be nice... Aside from the LFE issue, does it compare well with the Denons? Thanks,

--Kyle

· Registered
1,696 Posts
Another receiver you might want to check out is the Marantz 7001. It has four HDMI inputs. I am using mine with PS3, HD-XA1, HD-TiVo, all via HDMI to Sony SXRD TV. I have had no HDCP issues--just plugged everything in, and it all worked. See the Marantz thread in this forum for complete info. You can get the 7001 for under $1000 if you know where to go.

· Registered
541 Posts

Quote:

Great, I think I've got it now. So, the PS3 would send out the TrueHD (for example) as 7.1 lossless audio over HDMI, and an HDMI 1.1+ receiver would work with it, right?

correct

Quote:

With me having a 5.1 setup though, would the PS3 downmix (or whatever) Bluray movies to 5.1 and pass it as lossless to the receiver over HDMI?

i asked a similar question and here was sanjay's response .

Quote:

I'll take a look at that Pioneer - having 3 HDMI inputs would be nice... Aside from the LFE issue, does it compare well with the Denons? Thanks,

--Kyle

the Pioneer Elite VSX-84TXSi has 4 HDMI inputs. still has the LFE issue that people say "might" have a firmware fix in the next month or so. quality comparison between the denon and pioneer are beyond me, but i'm sure someone else might have some info. this question must come up a LOT since there are really only 3 AVRs (under $3000) with 4 HDMI inputs:

Pioneer Elite VSX-84TXSi

Marantz 7001 or 8001 (just learned that here.. thanks)

Sherwood Newcastle 972 (summer 2007 will have 6 HDMI inputs)

· Registered
13,326 Posts
Count me in as a happy Marantz SR7001 owner too. Don't forget to factor in general audio qualities in your choice as well. I got caught up in all the features and capabilities and price so much, this got lost on me. It wasn't until I relaized the improvement after replacement, that I sat there and though, I got lucky with this one.

The unit I replaced was considered a higher end unit than the new one I purchased and the improvement especially on music was substantial.

· Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys - the 4 HDMI sounds nice on the Marantz... I'll consider it even though according to future proof thread it isn't a "level 6" future proof receiver and according to the LFE thread it doesn't have the "green" good rating for handling LFE properly (although it looks pretty close). Thanks,

--Kyle

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.