AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All the great reviews of the Oppo make me think it would be a great unit for my upcoming plasma purchase (either Panny or NEC... not sure yet).

Anyhow, I have some SACD's so I don't want to miss out on their great sound and the Oppo doesn't play them. I don't want to limit myself either, so would like DVD-A capability.

The Denon 3910 is a strong contender but has 2 minor problems: price and some MB complaints.

The scaler in the NEC panel is supposed to be very good, so I think I would like to be able to feed it 480i via HDMI. This way (if I understand correctly) the signal is not converted to analog to be scaled, but sent digitally and unprocessed (correct me if I'm wrong here...), and the panel is doing all the conversions.

So, I'm not sure if the Denon 3910 can send 480i over HDMI or if there are others out there that would work well for these panels (without suffereing MB).

Any suggestions would be appreciated. :confused:

Cheers

shane

·
Registered
15,290 Posts
If you want a universal player that outputs 480i over HDMI, you need to look at Pioneer (59ai or 79ai). The Denons do not do so.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks.

Good thread reference Paul. I'll check some of these out.

Yeah Bill... the Pio's might work.

cheers

shane

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by bri1270
And don't forget that oppo has something new coming out soon,, so you may want to wait for that.
Good idea... if it will have SACD capability. Would you happen to know?

Also, any idea when?

shane

·
Registered
15,290 Posts
The current Oppo plays DVD-A but not SACD. I doubt the replacement Oppo will play SACD (posts about it have not mentioned SACD).

·
Registered
767 Posts
Careful of the Oppo married with a Panasonic (commercial), we are having macroblocking problems with it. Better go with a non-faroudja player, Sony for exemple.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.