AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
32,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So if I have some RCA-to-BNC connectors and some audio and/or video cables lying around, can I make an SDI cable for use?

If so, should I use the audio side or the video side? Or do I need something else?

Mark

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
SDI is simply a 75 Ohm cable. In a pinch, a cheap RCA courtesy cable from a manufacturer with an RCA to BNC adapter will usually work just fine!

·
Registered
21,464 Posts
Actually they are all the same speed. :)

Try Beldon 1694A. [Thanks for catching the typo Thomas:)] How long do you want one and how do you want it terminated? I'll send you one for free. Mit one wire supposedly has a little greater bandwidth. I can make you one from that. It was indeed a pleasure seeing you once again my friend (at Cedia).

·
Registered
105 Posts
I tried using RCA-to-BNC adapters from Radio shack with a 75-ohm video cable with RCA connectors and it didn't work. I have an HDL with an RP91 w/SDI and no image was displayed. The original SDI cable that I had worked fine with my Digital Leeza and RP91, but sparklies were introduced when using it with the HDL.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hi,

RCA connectors do not have a resistance of 75-ohm. This may cause some problems.

Thomas

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
A 75ohm coax RCA cable under 6 feet should work with BNC adapters. Audio cables will most likely cause problems. Even so called video RCA cables with yellow plugs may not be true 75ohm.

A more fool proof Radio Shack solution is an F to F RF cable with F to BNC adapters. This will be a true 75 ohm cable that should work to 25 feet or more.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
If you really can't find something, let me know. I have access to Canare RG59 and Canare true 75 Ohm connectors. I've personnally created a custom 75 Ohm RCA on one end and a 75 Ohm BNC on the other end. If you really can't find a solution let me know and I'll see if I can't put one together for you for the cost of materials.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.