AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a pair of paradigm monitor 7s that are equal distance from the tv. My question is since my cabinet that holds all my av equipment is on the left side. I will need about 7 ft to connect my monitor 7 on the left but I will need a much longer length the speaker on the right. Will it make a difference in sound if the cables are not cut to the same length? Thanks

·
Registered
12,296 Posts
No problem.

The different speaker cable length differences as you mentioned are insignificant and will not effect the sound output.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
roaf85:

I agree with M Code however, the issue (as I understand it) is not necessarily whether or not the difference in length will effect the sound but whether the length of the cable will effect the work of the receiver in driving the speaker. I am under the impression that longer cables increase the workload on the receiver and when there is a significant imbalance between right and left sides, over time this may cause problems for the amplifier section of your receiver. Obviously the quality of the speaker cable is a factor. Your specification of "much longer length" for the right doesn't allow for a judgement of whether or not prolonged use of a longer cable will damage the receiver. One solution is to have equal lenght speaker cables but the left channel one is just too long. Then the work done by the amplifier section is equal.

Having said all this, it is unclear how long it would take to significantly damage a receiver even under extreme conditions. I know I will be replacing my receiver when someone comes out with a receiver with DVI switching capability, a standard hi-res digital link for a universal DVD player, and coherent (and complete) bass management. So in my case, no matter how long my speaker cable lengths are, my receiver will probably be history long before I could screw it up. :D

·
Registered
154 Posts
I may be wrong but doesn't the speaker gage also affect the work load on the amplifier. A smaller gage wire 12 gage opposed to 16 gage will lessen the resistance on the receiver.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.