AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
May be a stupid question but I have a genesis g-928 sub. For those of you unfamiliar with this sub it is a 2cu ft box with the amp on the back, it has 2 12" drivers, one on the left, one on the right. It had a busted amp. I have replaced the amp with a Dayton 500w plate amp and wired the subs up. One thing I did not pay much attention to was the wiring they had on the subs originally, I just unsoldered them and resoldered the new wires in place (it had 2 4ohm dvc subs wired down to a 2ohm load) I wired series-parallel to a 4ohm total load. Anyway, enough of what I've done and more to my questions. If you have 2 subs, sharing the same box facing opposite directions, but in the same phase won't they cancel? Do I need to wire one of them 180 out? I hooked it up and it does sound absolutely amazing. Anyway, if I need to wire 1 sub 180 out of phase how the heck would I do it with my current series-parallel wiring setup?

·
Registered
15,396 Posts
If you have 2 subs, sharing the same box facing opposite directions, but in the same phase won't they cancel? Do I need to wire one of them 180 out? I hooked it up and it does sound absolutely amazing. Anyway, if I need to wire 1 sub 180 out of phase how the heck would I do it with my current series-parallel wiring setup?
Both drivers should move out (away from the center of the box) at the same time and move in (toward the center of the box) at the same time. Play a low frequency test tone and observe their movement. If they don't move in this way, switch the + and - of one of the drivers at the point you've wired the two in series.

If you wire one backwards you will get nearly no bass.
You will end up with a dipole subwoofer. Some people do intentionally build dipole subs. They're obviously not going to be low frequency output monsters.

·
Banned
15,491 Posts
Both drivers should move out (away from the center of the box) at the same time and move in (toward the center of the box) at the same time. Play a low frequency test tone and observe their movement.
It's almost impossible to tell which way they're moving with a test tone. Use a 1.5v battery, that makes it very easy to see which way the cones move when you make the connection to it. You have to pull the amp and connect the battery direct to the speaker cable.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.