AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I may have an opportunity to get a projector but will need to do so quickly, it's combined with loaning it out for a few days which will save me some $$$.

So, if you were spending up to $1000 is the X1 the way to go? Ultimately I want to use it for DVD and HDTV viewing, I am familiar with an LP130 (from work) - is the X1 similar?

Sorry I haven't checked all the included extras, does it come with S-Video and VGA cables like the LP130 or will I need extras?

Or should I buy the Dell.. or another?

Any quick replies would be much appreciated!

Chris.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
For $1000 you probably can't do better than the X1 unless you see DLP related rainbows (Dell also sells the X1 and ive seem promotions for it there for $870). Another similar projector is the BenQ 6100, but for my money I'd get the X1. The only other option is the Sanyo Z1 which is a bit more at $1100. It is LCD so it does not have the rainbow problem and can project a bigger image from a closer distance. LCD does not have dark blacks though and that bothers some people. The Z1 is also native 16:9 which means less light spill outside the picture. It also has more resolution than the X1 (which is only DVD quality 450p, not HD). The Z1 is 1/4 HD or 540p. True HD is 720p or 1080i.

I believe it comes with an s video cable but not a VGA cable.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've seen the Benq PB6100 for $889 after rebate, that makes it less than I've found the X1 ($949) for and it's 1500 lumens as against 1100, I do have a certain comfort with InFocus though having used their projectors a lot before.

I can find the Z1 for arounf $1120, not sure deep blacks are going to be the biggest worry I have but I do like a big picture, or the ability to have it really big if I choose to so less throw for bigger image could be a plus for me, concerned it is 700 lumens though.

Are the bulb prices all pretty much the same, in the $300-$400 range?

The InFocus LP130 I have used from work will take 1080i and 720p making it superior to the X1, but it's around $1250 (on eBay).

This is starting to feel like one of those just another $100, and just another $100 and before I know it I've blown everything! :)

·
Registered
423 Posts
You can also take a look at the Sharp A10X. About $1000 it is a 1024X768

LCD projector.

:)

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ugh... I just read an epic thread that was more of a melee between a10X and X1 fans...

I'm sorry but "Where to buy" posts are not allowed. Please read the Forum Posting FAQ at the top of the forum.

Thanks,

Kysersose

Chris.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry, I was a little over eager and didn't stop to read the rules.

If it makes any difference to the suggested solution my main use will be HDTV (Cable), and DVD (Sony Progressive Scan). Hooking my PC in for surfing would be nice but XGA isn't crucial, would be nicer though!

I think my decision is going to be driven by having to buy locally as I need it by the weekend.

Chris.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
"The InFocus LP130 I have used from work will take 1080i and 720p making it superior to the X1, but it's around $1250 (on eBay).

The X1 can work with these signals through the vga port. It just will display them at X1 resolution (Same with the LP130).

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If the X1 doesn't do HD natively is their a big difference between the display and that of the others mentioned?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.