AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
why does everyone suggest setting the virtual memory to twice that of physical memory? i've gone the route of disabling virtual memory altogther because i've got 512mb of ram which is plenty to run windows without virtual memory. but now, i've got some games that require virtual memory and if i set the min/max value of virtual memory to 1 Gb, i've now got a 1 Gb swap file that's just sitting on my hard drive which is pretty annoying. what i wanted to know was if there would be anything wrong with turning on virtual memrory with a min/max swap file that's below the amount of physical ram, say around 150mb or so?

·
Premium Member
2,564 Posts
I've seen this "twice your ram" rule, but its just wrong. By extension, if you had only 65meg of ram, you'd set your swap size lower. Thats the wrong direction. Virtual memory substitutes for real memory, the more real memory you have, the less swap file you need. Its a function of the applications you run and how much memory they use.

It can be good to set a minimum size for the swapfile, which prevents Windows from having to resize it.

One way to determine a minimum swap file size is first to let Windows manage it. Then monitor its size determine how much you typically use. Then the minimum size to that number, or slightly higher.

The value of keeping the swap file size fixed is so it doesn't end up fragmented. The downside is crashes when you hit the limit. If you're not using it alot, let windows manage it the maximum.

If you are heavily using the swap file, then you do want a fixed size. I'll add that the swapfile is best placed on the outer edge of the hard disk it is located on. Windows 9x\\Me disk defragmenter will not do this. You'll need a disk defragmenter like Norton Speed Disk or McAfee Nut's & Bolts to do so.

BTW, McAfee's defrag utility gets the least confused when you run it (the act of running it can change the swap file, which causes the defrag prog to restart, into an infinite loop).

------------------

Alex

[This message has been edited by work permit (edited 07-13-2001).]

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks work permit. i guess i'll just turn on virtual memory again and just set it to a small swap file since i'm guessing i don't run out of physical memory too often. maybe this will solve the problem i'm having with my system stalling sometimes when office 2000 is running along with dscaler.

·
Premium Member
2,564 Posts
I would turn it on, let windows manage the swap file (both minimum and maximum size), load up everything you usually load up and play with it for a while. Check to see how big the swap file is. Then go back and set swap file size to be fixed. Feel free to double that number to give yourself some margin.

------------------

Alex

[This message has been edited by work permit (edited 07-13-2001).]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.