AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what is the difference between wdtv live and wdtv HD?

which is newer?

which is better?

is there any video quality difference?

·
Registered
483 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by towncarblue /forum/post/18252432

what is the difference between wdtv live and wdtv HD?

which is newer?

which is better?

is there any video quality difference?

The WDTV Live has network support, WDTV HD does not.

From what I can gather (I don't have the "New" WDTV HD) the Generation 2 HD is identical to the Live except it does not have a network card. Same RAM and chipset, same codec and container support, plays higher re-frames, etc. The generation 1 WDTV HD was Western Digital's flagship media player and has some limitations that neither the Gen 2 or the Live do not have.

For me, the combination of codec/container support, ease of use, price and footprint make them top notch.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Like venk25 said, BB does carry the Live version. Last time I was in store, they were 149. However, the online price has been 119 for a while (unless it changed recently). So I would suggest either ordering online and selecting in-store pickup, or just have the store pricematch to their website.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
just got the wdtv hd today. my god does the .mkv video quality SUCK

.[ used a 1080p transformers 2 mkv. looks perfect when played from my pc connected to a 50' samsung]

it was grainy, despite changing settings , it looked like a dvd with terrible upconversion.

i did not update any firmware yet, but if the quality does not improve tonight im returning this.

·
Registered
483 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by towncarblue /forum/post/18255800

.[ used a 1080p transformers 2 mkv. looks perfect when played from my pc connected to a 50' samsung]

it was grainy, despite changing settings , it looked like a dvd with terrible upconversion.

i did not update any firmware yet, but if the quality does not improve tonight im returning this.

What video codec did you use (Xvid, Divx, H.246)? What bitrate did you rip the video to?

There are several things that can cause that. But remember, stand-alone media players don't have a 512MB (or higher) VRAM video card, so it is like comparing apples and oranges when judging video quality between a player and a computer.

I have all of my standard definition DVD's ripped to H.246/2500-3000Kb/s mkv's. While there is just a bit of pixelation on totally black screens on some movies, the PQ is overall quite good. It is at, or very near, DVD quality.

Another option for you to try is to rip the main movie to ISO with no compression and see how that works.

·
Registered
209 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by towncarblue /forum/post/18255800

Hmm, I have the Live. Both 720p and 1080p mkv looks spectacular on my Panasonic plasma (calibrated using video-essential and i1 colormeter). The output from the WDTV matches very well to that of my HD-DVD player and the TV does not need any re-calibration.

When I connect my PC to my Plasma (HDMI), the picture looks wrong. shadow is clipped off, and highlight is too blown out.

My guess is you are seeing the difference because the WDTV is outputing a proper video signal (16-235) while your computer is outputing a PC signal (0-255). Without changing some setting on the TV, it will only work with one setting and the other will look like crap.

·
Registered
483 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by towncarblue /forum/post/18257886

im not reffering to dvd's

im referring to blu-ray converted to .mkv

What program did you use to convert? Did you compress the video? Need more information.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts