AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning out a riser set-up with wiring for 8 Aura Bass Shakers, one for each of 8 Berkline seats. I want to take the Subwoofer line level output from my receiver and "Y" it off to the Subwoofer and to a separate amp(s) for the shakers; the separate amp(s) will either be built in to the riser or placed in my equipment closet.

Looking at the BASH amp here: http://www.oaudio.com/300W_SUBAMP.html

I have 2 rows of seats (4/row) and I'd like to be able to selectively defeat the vibration to one row or the other. I think I could do it with switches, but I'll likely go with a separate amp for each row; BTW, each row of 4 with two pairs of parallel wired shakers, the pairs wired in series4 ohms/shaker.

Question: Is there a problem with a "Y" off of the receiver (to Sub and LFE amps) then a second "Y" to split the LFE signal between the two shaker amps? What will that do the the line level signal, etc.. I'm assuming that the "Y" is really wired in parallel, so I'd think (correct me if I'm wrong) I'd then have 3 legs in parallel to the 3 separate amps (sub also has it's own internal amp)any issues there with lowering resistance, etc.?

TIA,

Harry

·
Registered
16,963 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryH /forum/post/15460758

Question: Is there a problem with a "Y" off of the receiver (to Sub and LFE amps) then a second "Y" to split the LFE signal between the two shaker amps? What will that do the the line level signal, etc.. I'm assuming that the "Y" is really wired in parallel, so I'd think (correct me if I'm wrong) I'd then have 3 legs in parallel to the 3 separate amps (sub also has it's own internal amp)…any issues there with lowering resistance, etc.?

There is no real problem with splitting the line-level signal a few times with Y-adapters. I've seen conflicting info, though, regarding what happens to the signal each time it is split. I think it depends upon the output impedance of the subwoofer out and the relative input impedances of all the devices involved. If your shaker amps have level trims, then any signal loss is irrelevant as you will be able to adjust each set individually, anyway.

The Y-adapters represent parallel connections, but since this is a line-level signal, that is sort of irrelevant, too.

·
Registered
26,476 Posts
I have split out my sub signal many times without issues....I have had 3 or 4 "Y-cables" in the chain.

You should not have any problems.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys!

I thought that was the likely response, but I just wanted to be sure. After reading the responses I just realized that unless one's sub had an output jack, that would be the way one would hook up multiple subs, tooright?

Harry

·
Registered
16,963 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryH /forum/post/15465139

After reading the responses I just realized that unless one's sub had an output jack, that would be the way one would hook up multiple subs, too…right?

Yes. Even with a sub with output jack(s), it is still probably best to simply use a Y instead of daisy-chaining.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.