Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,

The computer I use for my HTPC is under the stairs roughly equal distances from my office and my living room. Its great because I dont hear it at all from either location. The only problem I have is there is some slight audio buzz in the living room which I think is coming from the 25 foot run from the computer to the stereo. Right now I'm using a cable I wired myself with a headphone jack on the computer end and rca on the stereo end, with reasonably thick speaker wire going the distance. For casual use with games and stuff its fine, but if I'm watching a movie and want to hear the dialog clearly I have to turn it up a bit and the buzz is kind of annoying. Any suggestions?

Kris

·
Registered
200 Posts
Just to clarify - are you saying you used speaker cable to send the signal from your sound card to your amplifier?

If this is the case then there will definitely be LOTS of hum, since the cable is not screened. Buy a decent quality screened audio cable (don't buy any "high-end" cable, it's a scam) from an electronics company such as RS ( www.rswww.com ) and use this instead, making sure you don't run it parrallel to mains cables.

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
I use a self-made, coax digital cable from my office to my theater and it functions perfectly, you may want to go "digital" to do the run so that interference is gone.

Jim

·
Registered
5,313 Posts
vfrjim: So I don't yet have the audio part of my system figured out; I was going to do the same thing [RCA->Denon AVR-4800] as it's about a 20-25' run and optical won't run that far. I'm bumming about doing the analog thing, but I didn't think I had a choice. What exactly is coax digital cable [i.e., what type of wire, what output on your PC, what input on your home stereo].

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.