Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

The MSI 6600GT just got a new fan that's considerably louder than the previous version. I'm looking for a relatively quiet 6600GT using the stock fan. Has anyone got any suggestions?

Thanks!

·
Registered
182 Posts
I use a fanless Gigabyte 6600 GT.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Do you really want to use the stock fan? why not get an aftermarket cooler. The VF700 by Zalman is very quiet. At its lowest setting which is barely audible performs way better than stock.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
bzellinger, Would like to use that, but I have a Ahanix MCE601 case, so i don't believe the heatpipe fits.

Jpadua, I considered that, but it's not that big a deal. Standard cooling is fine, I just want the quitest one. Thanks though...

Still interested in hearing ppl's opinions.

Thanks

·
Registered
127 Posts
Its just that aftermarket cooling is both quieter and "cooler"

I recommend the Artic Silencer NV6 i think it is taht fits that card.

It outputs the heat directly out of your case, so it means less heat inside your case, and lower rpms on your case fans

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Actually, is it possible to slow down the stock fan on a vide card? Is there a fanmate type product that works with two pins? That could work...

I'm trying to avoid the after market solutions...

·
Registered
127 Posts
I'm sure you can but at a thermal expense. Probably to the point where it would freeze.

why no aftermarket? Its really easy and doesn't take much skill.

With my 6800 GTO overlocked to 6800 Ultra speeds in my main rig i dropped 40 degress by going from the stock cooler to an aftermarket cooler at full load.

on my 6600GT in my htpc case can now safely run under 50 degrees under all conditions at pretty aggresive speeds. 500/1100 i think i don't know off hand. It also dropped the system temp of my case a little under 5 degrees

ALL THIS and they are both silent.

In my HTPC case i have heatpipes on the northbridge, a 92mm panaflo @7v on my cpu a 80mm panflo @ 7v on my case, and my NV silencer its super cool and super quiet

·
Registered
305 Posts
I bought Gigabyte fanless 6600GT and put Papst 80mm fan that blows hot air from video card to outside of HTPC case.

Works perfectly for me and its dead silent :)

·
Registered
159 Posts
I have the fanless gigabyte 6600GT too. It's great. By the way I think it's cooling solution is from Zalman.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrloopy
I'd like the fanless, but it won't fit into the Ahanix 601 case...
Why won't it fit? is it the height? or the width with the heat sinks?

·
Registered
930 Posts
I use the Zalman fanmate with 3 pins with no problems at all. The stock fan has 2 pins and the fanmate has 3 but it will fit with no problems. It will fit on 2 different ways, one way it works and the other way the fan doesnt work, but the pins will line up so you can plug them together. I have the fanmate 1 turned down almost all the way down and have no heat issues at all. The heat sink barely gets warm to the touch on my PNY 6600GT.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I have the BFG 6600gt OC and it is very quiet. I bought it based on many user reviews commending it's quietness compared to other 6600gt cards that they tried, and agree it is very quiet and is barely noticable with my ear right next to it.

peace

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.