AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Sony STR-DA2ES (about 100 W per channel) and I have speakers set up in a 5.0 configuration. my front speakers are a pair of SS-U7030's ( I love these things) my center speaker is a SS-CN5000P, and my rear speakers are a pair of magnavox speakers that I got real cheap from someone. When I purchased the center speaker about 9 or 10 months ago, it sounded amazing. dialog was quite loud, and it kept up with the mains quite nicely. The problem is that now it is noticeably quieter, and the mains drown it out... I have been trying to diagnose this, and I plugged in my old center (a generic piece of junk.) and my old center was louder (still crappier sounding) than the sony center I bought last year. Both centers are 8Ω speakers.

the SS-CN5000P has three speakers in it. two 4~5 inch speakers in a tweeter. I have a hunch that the tweeter is working under time for whatever reason. does this seem reasonable? what would cause this and what can i do about it? (short of buying a whole new center)

·
Registered
3,322 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denodster /forum/post/18303501

I have a Sony STR-DA2ES (about 100 W per channel) and I have speakers set up in a 5.0 configuration. my front speakers are a pair of SS-U7030's ( I love these things) my center speaker is a SS-CN5000P, and my rear speakers are a pair of magnavox speakers that I got real cheap from someone. When I purchased the center speaker about 9 or 10 months ago, it sounded amazing. dialog was quite loud, and it kept up with the mains quite nicely. The problem is that now it is noticeably quieter, and the mains drown it out... I have been trying to diagnose this, and I plugged in my old center (a generic piece of junk.) and my old center was louder (still crappier sounding) than the sony center I bought last year. Both centers are 8Ω speakers.

the SS-CN5000P has three speakers in it. two 4~5 inch speakers in a tweeter. I have a hunch that the tweeter is working under time for whatever reason. does this seem reasonable? what would cause this and what can i do about it? (short of buying a whole new center)

Well, you don't state what make the spkrs are...wait a second, I think you mentioned Sony. First figure out if all spkrs inside the center cabinet are working, then properly calibrate the receiver. What do you mean "the mains drown it out"? If you are listening in DD 5.1, the channels are discrete. You make it sound like you have the receiver set to something like five channel stereo...(meaning all spkrs play the same info).

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its all sony. and I have tried both DD and DTS discs. I have my blueray player plugged into the receiver via a toslink cable, and the receiver set to "stream direct" I spend some time messing with it last night and I think the tweeter in the center speaker has gone bad (it still produces sound, but I think it's supposed to be a lot louder), I am going to try to send it in under warranty. For the time being I set the receiver to mix the center channel into the fronts.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts