AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It looks like I'm finally ready to upgrade my 3060's. I'm looking for a 120 or 160 GB drive that runs as silently as possible. Any recommendations? I have heard good things about Maxtor, but the original Maxtor drives that came in my 3060's are quite noisy. :)

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
I think the new Maxtors aren't bad when run with acoustic management on. You will still hear the spinning but the clicking is gone.

Maxtors new 7200 rpm drives might be an option. We need to hear from someone who has tried one in a Replay.

WD noisy

Maxtor medium

Seagate quiet (maybe use two 80 gig drives)

IBM don't know

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mikeyboy,

Thanks for the useful information. Is there a down side to leaving acoustic management on? The Linux Boot Disk readme file states - "To improve the performance of the hard drive, it is recommended to turn OFF the acoustic management and write-verify features of your Maxtor drive."

Quiet operation is very important to me, but I would hate to inadvertently sacrifice overall performance.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Slight performance trade off but the new drives surpass the original drives in performance anyway. I use the Fast setting on AM.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
The Write Verify OFF and AM OFF settings were conservative suggestions to maximize performance. I and others have turned them on with no ill effects. Most performance problems (stuttering) seem more heat related than anything else. I would think that a 5400 drive would be quieter than a 7200. The Maxtor 160's seem very quiet.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Note that the new Maxtor 7200 fluid bearing drives only go to 80 gb. I have one ordered, but it is going in my PC.

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by gweempose
What are the default settings for AM and Write-Verify on a brand new drive?
Maxtor default is AMSET /ON and WVSET 10 (turns write verification off after the drive is powered on 10 times ).

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Mikeyboy

Maxtor default is AMSET /ON and WVSET 10 (turns write verification off after the drive is powered on 10 times ).
It sounds like the drive is configured properly right out of the box. Simply run a Low Level Format and you're good to go. Am I missing anything?

·
Registered
170 Posts
I recently upgraded with a 120 gig Maxtor (5400 RPM) and it is really quiet. I removed the metal and foam sound shield and added two thermal activated cooling fans. My unit is in an Entertainment Center and everything is quiet.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Tom,

I'm glad to hear that your unit is running quietly. I think I'm leaning toward the 120GB Maxtor myself. The 160s are kind of expensive, and my older Replays will only be able to utilize 17 of the 40 extra gigs anyway.

By the way, how did you configure your drive? Did you stick with all of the default settings? Did you run a Low Level Format before the upgrade? How is the performance? Is it faster, the same, or slower than the original drive?

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by gweempose
It sounds like the drive is configured properly right out of the box. Simply run a Low Level Format and you're good to go. Am I missing anything?
You're right just LLF and run RTVPatch. The newer drives act the same as the original. Not faster, not slower.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I bought my upgrade on e-Bay. It was already formatted and ready for installation. I have 4 IDE devices installed in my PC (no open ports) and didn't want to mess with it.

I use mine only as a recorder so it is off most of the time. The dual fans are also nice because they only run when needed (whether the unit is on or off).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.