AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Still researching this HTPC idea so thanks in advance for your patience.

How hard is it to find a quiet DVD drive for a HTPC? I haven't bought a DVD drive for a pc yet so I don't have any experience with them. I have a few CDRW drives and I know they are very loud.

I spend tons of time and money trying to quiet my pc's so I know a lot about noise when it comes to the pc. The one thing I haven't read much about was quiet CD or DVD drives. To me, it is very important that it be quiet.

On a related topic, is it possible to find a quiet DVD RW drive? I've been thinking of getting one of these and it would save money if I got just a single DVD RW instead of a DVD and a DVD RW drive.

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Well I went ahead and ordered a 120s shortly after posting in this thread. It arrived today, and I have to say I'm very disappointed. While it is indeed quieter than the 12x Pioneer drive that I briefly owned a couple of years ago, it's still far to noisy to have a permanent home in my home theater. And the Pioneer slowdown utility doesn't seem to have any effect. So for now I'm back to my finnicky 2X Toshiba.

It seems to me that if somebody had the brains to market a truly quiet DVD drive, they could make tons of money off it, even if it did have to run a little slower. I know I'd gladly pay $100 for a silent, reliable black DVD drive.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I bought 5 different DVD drives for testing purposes: Sony DDU1621, Samsung SD-616, Liteon LTD-163, Asus DVD-E616 and Toshiba SDM1712B. Keep in mind that I only observed the DVD aspects of the drive (ie. noise, tray). All of these drives were in the 50 $/eur price category.

Every drive other than Asus know how to lower the speed with DVD disks, Asus just kept on spinning like a mad and it made a lot of noise, so I abandoned this drive and didn't test it for much longer.

Liteon sounded like it is going to break at any time, lots of weird noises from the drives mechanics. If you ignored that fact, it was still somewhat noisier than Sony, Samsung and Toshiba. The eject button seemed to be "laggy" also, I had to push eject for a few times before it ejected the disk.

So, Sony, Samsung and Toshiba made it to the final three. Samsungs drive was probably the noisiest from three, but the decision was really hard as these DVD drives were really quiet. I was using Pioneer 106S on my HTPC, and I can't believe how bad it is (noise wise) when compared to these other drives. And yes, I am aware of the Pioneer "utility" software but it doesn't have any effect (and I've tried it on many different computers).

If I were to pick, I'd use either Sony or Toshiba. Both are really good choices. Sony's front panel looks a lot better than Toshiba's, so I will be using the Sony drive on my new HTPC. Oh, and the Sony drive is few centimeters shorter than the Toshiba, it will be easier to fit in smaller cases.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Well, I would like to add the Microstar MS-8216 DVD Rom drive for the consideration.

It is very quiet and the case is very well damped.

CH Yeow

·
Registered
462 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bonzichrille
This guy also complement the sony drive on it's silent operation but says it has no error correction for dvd's, thus making a bad choice for a htpc...

what do you think, total nonsense???
I haven't had any troubles so far, but then again I don't have any dirty/scratched disks either.

I'm sure Halcyon knows what he's talking about, though I find it a bit hard to believe that Sony doesn't have any kind of error correction. Maybe Toshiba would be a safer bet afterall, maybe not - only time will tell.

I do not recommend the Pioneer drives though. Really noisy and the slowdown utility doesn't work (for me, anyway). And if it does happen to work, it only reduces the speed to 4x while the other drives will use 1x.

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Just an update on my situation. After deciding that the Pioneer 120S was far too noisy for my system, I purchase a black Toshiba 1712.

My impression is that this drive is noticeaby more quiet than the Pioneer. It still has a rather noisy spin-up when your first put the disc in or when seeking to a chapter/menu during playback, but it's not as bad as the Pioneer was. And during actual DVD playback the drive is pretty much silent.

I did try Nere DriveSpeed in hopes of getting rid of the spin-up noise. The program "detected" available speeds of 8x, 16x, 32x, and 48x, which are clearly CD-ROM speeds, and indeed setting it do 8x had no effect on DVD performance. Not only that, but the next time I booted my computer Windows refused to recognize that the drive had any disc in it, until I closed DriveSpeed. So I don't recommend using that program with the Toshiba.

Still, even with the spin-up noise the drive is quiet enough that I can live with it, my main concern was during movie playback. So if noise is an important factor in choosing a DVD drive, I definitely recommend the new Toshiba over the new Pioneer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.