AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know of any quiet dvd-rom drives?

I spent quite a bit of effort making my HTPC as quiet as possible while still being functional, and I'm happy with it, until I stick a DVD in, and it sounds like an F16 is taking off. Its an old Pioneer drive (not a slot loader), not sure of the model.

I've heard mixed opinions on the pioneer slot loaders, and I remember reading a review in which someone changed the bios of another DVD-ROM drive to make it quieter. (i think that one was a lite-on, not sure though).

I'd love to find one that's not as loud as a vaccuum cleaner.

·
Registered
452 Posts
The Pioneer 106 can be made very quiet using a utility that slows down its speed.

I have a 105 which couldn't be slowed down and know what you're talking about. The 106 is great!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mine says DVD-115GA.

X, where did you find the firmware update? Even better, is there a list of drives that can be slowed to reasonable noise levels? or any that come that way?

Thanks

·
Registered
317 Posts
toshiba sd m1612

·
Registered
452 Posts
You can get the slowdown utility here:

http://www.pioneeraus.com.au/multime...tware/utility/

It's called dvdutils_103.zip. It doesn't work on the 105 and probably not on the 115, but you could always try it. It's not firmware, rather a utility that sets some parameter(s) in the firmware.

If you get a 106 for its quietness (after running the utility) you can make it region free with new firmware of course.

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
Anybody know what's up with the availability of the black 106 drives? Digital Connection has had them listed as "backordered with no ETA" for a while now, and I haven't been able to find anybody else selling them.

Are there other drives that include a slow-down utility, or work with a 3rd-party slowdown utility?

Right now I have a 2x Toshiba DVD drive. It's completely silent, but it's also pretty finnicky about not wanting to read discs that work fine in my other PC's, which can be pretty frustrating considering the less-than-mint condition that most Netflix rentals arrive in. So I really want to get a more compatible/reliable drive, but I'd hate to give up the dead-quiet of my current drive for something that makes even moderate noise.

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JKohn
Anybody know what's up with the availability of the black 106 drives? Digital Connection has had them listed as "backordered with no ETA" for a while now, and I haven't been able to find anybody else selling them.

Are there other drives that include a slow-down utility, or work with a 3rd-party slowdown utility?

Right now I have a 2x Toshiba DVD drive. It's completely silent, but it's also pretty finnicky about not wanting to read discs that work fine in my other PC's, which can be pretty frustrating considering the less-than-mint condition that most Netflix rentals arrive in. So I really want to get a more compatible/reliable drive, but I'd hate to give up the dead-quiet of my current drive for something that makes even moderate noise.
The beige one's paint black VERY easy, I picked up 2 used 106's for $30 each and a $4 can of spray paint, even new ones can be gotten pretty cheap, paint is your friend :)

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
Quote:
The beige one's paint black VERY easy, I picked up 2 used 106's for $30 each and a $4 can of spray paint, even new ones can be gotten pretty cheap, paint is your friend
OK, I can do that. I guess the reason nobody has the 106SB is because the 106 models are getting phased out for the new 120S. Can anybody confirm that the 120S works with the slow-down utility?

·
Registered
65 Posts
I also have a 117. It's quiet most of the time but on some disk it does generate a lot of noise. I have a disk that I just can't play back sucessfully in the 117 but plays fine in a set top DVD player. It keep spinning up and down and pausing all the time.

I was also trying to use the latest Pioneer DVD utility (I believe it's 1.11) to spin down the drive, upgrade firmware etc. But it cannot even see the drive. Does WinXP still need to have the ASPI driver install in order for the utility to work?

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
jkohn,

I've seen the 106 drives at PC Club recently.

Also - I own Pioneer 115, 116, 117 drives and I would not trade them for anything. Once, I thought the 115/116s were very noisy. Today, I found that, for ripping DVDs, they are faster than all the current generations of DVD drives. The new Pioneers (from 119/120 and on) are not as fast and new models are getting worse. So now I appreciate their speed, despite their noise. These drives will beat the fastest Lite-ons hands down (I benchmarked them myself). The 115/116 are the best, followed closely by the 117s.

jlam - I have one DVD that will only be read by the Pioneer 115, and not by the Pioneer 116/117/119, or Lite-on or Sony or Toshiba DVD drives. It also plays fine in my JVC DVD player. Weird...

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have a Pio DVD-120 (tray loader) and tried the slow down utility last night. It didn't work. Neither did Nero DriveSpeed. TBH, it's usually pretty good, slowing down when I start playing a movie, but not always. I would be very interested if someone can get some kind of speed control working with these drives.

_

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.