AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a local cabinet shop build a custom-designed entertainment center to hold my plasma and associated equipment, and I need a quiet 110 volt fan to ventilate the cabinet where my Sony STR-DB9xx receiver will be housed. Something relatively small, like an 80 mm PC fan that will fit over an opening cut in the back of the cabinet.

Can anyone recommend an on-line source, and a specific model fan?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
The 12V 80mm Papst fans are occasionally available from online PC retailers for use as case fans or CPU fans, but the rest of the Papst line is rather rare in the USA. The only place I'm aware of to purchase them from is Digikey , and they're very expensive. The 8830N is $32!

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
$32 is not a problem. When I've spent $7000 on a plasma, $1,400 on the furniture, and thousands more on the rest of the equipment, $32 isn't a big deal. ;)

I've also managed to find this.

http://www.taylorelectronics.com/index.asp

Their TA8038-L-110 is rated at 18 dB. They don't have on-line sales, but I found it for $16 at Yahoo Shopping via a Google search on the model number.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
or get a larger 220v fan and run it at 110 will quiet it down.. even a pot for the fan rating to adjust the speed would work..

·
Banned
3,181 Posts

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Try running two 115v fans in series . This will reduce the individual fan speed and greatly reduce the fan noise .

I've had a pair cooling my HT cabinet for a year now . They work quite well .

Scott.......................:D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.