AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maxtor offers a utility to set acoustic levels on their HD's. The utility makes changes to the HD itself and does not need to be running on a PC to control the HD settings.

This may be a nice way to quiet some of the Maxtor upgrades. HD performance will suffer on 7200 RPM drives, but it should not affect RTV performance.
Maxtor Utility Link

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Amset is probably known to *most* Maxtor users; but I concur, using this utility is a big improvement in sound reduction.

I never could understand those who didn't want to use this on their Replays; I could understand the performance hit if you were using it in a PC...:confused:

Good reminder.:)

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
A RMA I received about 6 months back of a Maxtor 5400 RPM 100GB drive came as Quiet. They must have changed their policy or it is not consistent. I doubt they took the time to check the that the drive I sent in was set to quiet and then set the RMA drive the same way.

Perhaps some returns are due to noise so all RMA's are set to "quiet" but retail boxes are set to "performance". The original drive drive was set to "fast" when I got it.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Well, all I know is that I just upgraded 2 ReplayTV's--a 2020 with a new Maxtor 80GB drive and a 3060 with a new 120GB drive--and they are both SILENT. Last year, my brother-in-law upgraded his 3060 with a 120GB Western Digital drive and it is very "clickity-clickity".

Don't know what the settings are, don't care. Just VERY happy! Maxtor all the way!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.